PARKERSBURG - A Parkersburg Fire Department captain was among the first responders to a fire at his own home.
Firefighters were called to 7 Greenview Drive shortly before noon Tuesday after an electrical box in a laundry room caught fire. The residence was that of shift supervisor Capt. Brian Drake, who was on duty at the time.
"My (15-year-old) daughter was home with a friend and they called 911," Drake said. "She did everything she was supposed to do."
The Parkersburg Fire Department responded early Tuesday morning to an electrical fire at 7 Greenview Drive. The home’s owner, Capt. Brian Drake, was among the first responders. (Photo by Jolene Craig)
Parkersburg firefighters gather near headstones behind Kirby Monument Co. on Dudley Avenue. An electrical fire began Tuesday morning in the building’s garage. (Fire by Jolene Craig)
Drake said his daughter closed the door to the laundry room, which helped contain the fire and some of the smoke. She made sure everyone, including the pets, were out of the house and a safe distance away.
"She did great," he said. "She did everything she's been taught to do."
Drake said the fire burned up one wall in the laundry room and caused smoke damage throughout the house. No damage estimate was immediately available, and officials said the home's smoke detectors did activate.
The call came about an hour after a similar fire at a business near Parkersburg High School. Firefighters were called shortly before 11 a.m. Tuesday to an electrical fire at Kirby Monument Co. on Dudley Avenue.
Fire Chief Eric Taylor said that fire also began in an electrical panel in a garage attached to the business.
"It was very similar in nature," Taylor said. "There was not as much smoke damage and it was pretty much exclusively contained to the garage area."
Taylor said officials are unsure what started the fire, but the building's electrical meter exploded.
In both fires there were no injuries, Taylor said.