ELIZABETH - No one was home when a structure fire occurred around 10:30 a.m. Monday in Elizabeth.
The fire damaged one room of a house being used as a rental property on Washington Street, officials said. The name of the homeowner was not immediately known, officials said.
The Elizabeth/Wirt Volunteer Fire Department, Wirt County Sheriff's Department and Wirt County EMS responded to the blaze at 380 Washington Street.
Photo courtesy of Bo Wriston
Assistant Fire Chief Tom Crouser, right, hands a small Chihuahua puppy saved from a home structure fire on Monday in Elizabeth to Wirt County Sheriff D. Keith Wilson.
A driver with the United Parcel Service of America Inc. noticed smoke coming from the home and a neighbor called 911, alerting first responders to the fire.
Officials said 13 firefighters responded, with the first unit being on the scene within four minutes of the 911 notification.
The fire was quickly knocked down and contained to only one room of the home, said Bo Wriston, director of the Wirt County Office of Emergency Services.
No one was home when the fire erupted, and a small Chihuahua puppy was saved, firefighters said. Wriston said the American Red Cross had been contacted and will be providing services to the family affected.
Officials believe the fire was electrical in nature, but the investigation into the fire is ongoing.