HARRISVILLE - The Anne Royall Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution on June 22 dedicated a plaque in memory of a Civil War general from Harrisville.
Gen. Thomas M. Harris was a doctor in Harrisville before the war and at the beginning of the conflict recruited and later commanded the 10th W.Va. Infantry Volunteers.
The regiment took part in several battles those at Winchester, Cedar Creek and Appomattox.
A plaque in memory of Gen. Thomas M. Harrisville was dedicated on June 22 by the Anne Royall Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. (Photo Provided)
After the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, Harris was appointed to the military commission that tried the conspirators.
After the war he resumed his medical practice in Harrisville. He passed away in 1906.
Keynote speaker at the dedication was local attorney Rodney Windom. Other speakers were former Harrisville resident Tim Flesher and Anne Royall member Carole Jones, a descendant of Harris.
Following the dedication refreshments were served at the Gen. Thomas M. Harris Museum.