PARKERSBURG - Wood County Schools will again provide meals for students this summer as part of its Summer Food Service Program. The program is funded through the U.S. Department of Agriculture and is open to all students in Wood County Schools.
Beverly Blough, director of food services, said the programs will start June 17.
The program has been offered for more than 30 years, Blough said.
The county averages about 25 feeding sites a year that operate various times, with many serving lunch and a snack and some providing breakfast. Some sites are affiliated with specific programs, such as summer school, are only open to participating students, but there are several sites that are open to the general public.
Breakfast, lunch, and/or snack are open to all children, ages 18 years and under, who would like to participate. Meals will be served at the following sites:
* Arc at South Parkersburg Baptist Church: June 17-July 12, breakfast/lunch, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
* Boys & Girls Club: June 17-Aug. 9, lunch/snack, 11:45 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday- Friday
* Children's Home Society: July1-Aug. 9, lunch/snack, noon-3:15 p.m., Monday-Friday
* City Park Playground: June 17-July 26, lunch/snack, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
* Emerson Energy Express: June 24-Aug. 2, breakfast/lunch, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Monday -Friday
* Fairplains Playground: June 17-July 26, lunch/snack, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
* Fairplains (Parkersburg) Safetytown: June 17-June 28, snack, 9:10 a.m.; 9:40 a.m.; 10:40 a.m.; 1:40 p.m.; 2:10 p.m., Monday-Friday
* Franklin Energy Express: June 24-Aug. 2, breakfast/lunch, 8:30-11:30a.m., Monday-Friday
* Friendship Park Playground: June 17-Aug. 2, lunch/snack, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
* Gihon School: June 24-Aug. 19, breakfast/lunch, 8-11:30 a.m,. Monday-Friday
* Grace Brethern Church: June 17-July 9, lunch, 11:30 a.m. Monday-Wednesday
* Jefferson School Title 1: June 24-July 19, breakfast/lunch, 8-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
* Lubeck Playground: June 17-July 2, lunch/snack, 10:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m, Monday-Friday
* Martin Energy Express: June 24-Aug. 2, breakfast/lunch, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
* McKinley School: June 24-July 19, breakfast/lunch, 8-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
* Mineral Wells School: June 24-July 19, breakfast/lunch, 8-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
* Parkersburg South High School: June 24-Aug. 1, breakfast/lunch, 8:00-11:15 a.m. Monday-Friday
* Parkersburg YMCA: June 17-July 9, lunch/snack, 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m,. Monday-Friday
* VanDevender Middle School: June 24-July 19, breakfast/lunch, 8-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
* Waverly Playground: June 17-July 2, lunch/snack, 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
* Youth Reporting Center: June 17-Aug. 9, breakfast/lunch, 9-12:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
If a child is a member of a food stamp (SNAP) household or receive TANF assistance, the child is automatically eligible to receive free program meal benefits, subject to completion of the free/reduced application form.
Meals will be served at the following sites (Subject to Change):
* Teen Pregnancy Prevention: June 24-Aug. 2, lunch/snack, 11 a.m.-2:30 pm., Monday-Friday
* Williamstown Energy Express: June 24- Aug. 2, breakfast/lunch, 8:30-11:30 a.m., Monday-Friday
John Merritt, director of Title I for Wood County Schools, presented figures to the board of education earlier this year.
Fifty-six percent of the county's students are on the free and reduced lunch programs, up 4 percent from 2011. It was 49 percent in 2010. Of 12,470 students, almost 7,000 qualify.
Enrollment at six schools is more than 80 percent eligible with Jefferson and Fairplains close to 90 percent eligible.
Merritt told the board the poverty numbers are up by about 800 students, despite an overall decrease in student enrollment.
He said it was the first time he could recall all of the county schools eligible for the free and reduced lunch program. Greenmont is at the 35 percent threshold, making it eligible for a targeted program. Any school with more than 40 percent of its enrollment that qualifies for the lunch program is eligible for a schoolwide program.
For more information on the summer food program, contact Wood County Schools Food Service Department at 304-420-9663, Ext.141.