VINCENT - The Warren Local Board of Education has selected six Ohio school administrators to interview for the district's superintendent vacancy.
Eighteen people applied for the job, which will be vacated at the end of July when Tom Gibbs leaves to take a job with Athens City Schools. Board President Sidney Brackenridge said no internal district candidates had applied.
The job was posted on May 9 in anticipation of Gibbs' possible resignation, which was approved at the May 20 board meeting. Board members met Thursday to select which candidates to bring in for interviews. Those interviews are scheduled for today and Tuesday, during special board meetings that will be held in closed, executive session.
"We will consider these and probably cut it down" to three or four candidates, Brackenridge said.
Those candidates will be invited back for a community forum scheduled for 9 a.m. Saturday, starting in the Warren High School auditorium. Details of the format will be determined based on how many candidates there are and how many people attend, board member John Nichols said.
Residents are invited to submit questions for the candidates on the district's website, www.warrenlocal.org. They may be read by a proctor to prevent duplicate questions and keep the sessions to a reasonable length of time.
Invited for an?Interview
* Curtis M. Clough, superintendent, Strasburg-Franklin Local Schools.
* Kennith Cook, superintendent, South Point Local Schools.
* Michael B. Edwards, special education director, Clear Fork Valley Local Schools.
* J. Gregory Grant, principal, New Lexington City Schools.
* Jonathan Kuehnle, grants administrator and special education director, Pickaway County Educational Service Center, assigned to Circleville City Schools.
* Mike Waggoner, principal, Vinton County Middle School.
Source: Warren Local Schools Board of Education.
* * * * * *
* 6 p.m. today, administration office, Vincent - Interviewing candidates in closed, executive session.
* 6 p.m. Tuesday, administration office, Vincent - Interviewing candidates in executive session.
* 9 a.m. Saturday, Warren High School - Interviewing candidates in a community format; may include an executive session. Questions for candidates can be submitted online at www.warrenlocal.org
Source: Warren Local Schools.
"We'd just like to get some community feedback," Nichols said. "They will have a chance to meet them and hear from them."
A vote on hiring a new superintendent is tentatively planned for June 10.
Two of the candidates are currently serving as superintendents. Curtis M. Clough was hired in 2011 as superintendent of Strasburg-Franklin Local Schools in northern Tuscarawas County, while Kennith Cook is retiring as superintendent of South Point Local Schools, according to the Ironton Tribune.
Two more candidates are currently principals - J. Gregory Grant at New Lexington Elementary School and Mike Waggoner at Vinton County Middle School.
The other two serve as special education directors in their current districts. Michael B. Edwards holds the job for Clear Fork Valley Local Schools in Richland County. Jonathan Kuehnle is both a special education director and grants administrator employed by the Pickaway County Educational Service Center and assigned to Circleville City Schools.