MARIETTA - Local church groups are aiding those affected by the devastating tornado in Moore, Okla.
Pastor Steve Thibault of Evergreen Bible Church in Marietta and Pastor Rodney Lord of Valley Harvest Church in Marietta are trying to help Oklahoma residents with the assistance of residents and businesses in the Mid-Ohio Valley.
Judy Ball with Valley Harvest Church said members of the community and church want to do their part to help the victims of the natural disaster.
"We felt like we wanted to do something to respond," Ball said.
More than 20 churches are filling large boxes of supplies, Ball said. The drop-off sites for non-perishable items will include Kroger at 40 Acme St., Marietta, Vienna Baptist Church at Grand Central Avenue and 34th Street, Burger King in south Parkersburg and the Gallery at 220 Front St., Marietta.
Collection times will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5-8 p.m. today and Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, she said.
Marietta Transfer Co. has donated a truck to transport supplies collected in the drive.
Items needed include:
* Snack foods such as pretzels, nuts, granola and breakfast bars
* Canned goods
* Household cleaning supplies
* Personal hygiene items, in plastic bags if possible, such soap, razors, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs and washcloths
* Clothing of all sizes (prefer new), socks, shoes
* Flashlights, batteries
* Toys such as dolls, games, jump ropes
* Trash bags
* Paper towels, toilet paper, wet wipes, Clorox wipes, work gloves, plastic gloves
* First-aid items
* Hats, sunblock
* Diapers, baby food, baby wipes, formula, baby bottles
* Pillows, blankets, folding camping chairs
The goods will be sorted and packed into the truck on Tuesday and leave the valley later that day. If needed, two trucks will be loaded with supplies.
Donations can be made through PayPal or checks can be made out to Valley Harvest Church and mailed to 104 Tennis Center Drive, Marietta, OH 45750, for a tax-deductible receipt. Visit www.movfriends.com for more information on the collection.