ELIZABETH - Wirt County education officials last week voted to expel two high school students for a bomb threat.
The Wirt County Board of Education voted last week to expel two students involved in a bomb threat made at Wirt County High School earlier this month. Wirt County Sheriff Keith Wilson said the investigation into the threat has been completed and charges were filed Wednesday.
"It is miserable," said Wirt County Schools Superintendent Dan Metz said. "It is not what we want to do to our kids, but at the same time you can't cause panic or disruption to the school day and the community."
According to the minutes of the March 12 meeting, the board spent approximately two hours in executive session pertaining to the students. Only one of the students' parents attended the meeting, Metz said.
Metz declined to identify the students, their gender or grade level. He confirmed the two were high school students.
"It is not what we got into the business to do and the board is the same way," Metz said. "If you look at the amount of time spent in executive session, the board takes it very seriously, gives a fair hearing and makes decisions based on evidence submitted to them."
Metz said based on the evidence officials had they were able to prove without a doubt the two students were responsible for the threats.
"Without a doubt they were the ones who made the threat," he said.
Last week's discipline marks the third time this year the school board has expelled a student for a bomb threat. A 16-year-old girl was suspended by the county board of education in January for a bomb threat to the school system in December. Wilson said the girl was charged with a felony and is now serving her sentence in a juvenile facility in the state.