MARIETTA -Sixteen blues acts from throughout the region will compete Friday and Saturday in the 21st annual River City Ohio Blues Competition - sponsored by the Blues, Jazz and Folk Music Society - at the Lafayette Hotel in downtown Marietta.
The acts are competing for cash prizes and BJFMS sponsorship to the International Blues Challenge in 2014 in Memphis, Tenn. The cash prizes are $1,000 for first (with $500 more for registration for the International Blues Challenge), $500 for second and $300 for third.
The River City Ohio Blues Competition is the oldest and largest blues talent competition in Ohio, with local and regional blues acts from Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Michigan and other states.
This year's Marietta competition will again be a two-day event. The competition will begin on Friday night with the First Preliminary from 8-11 p.m., followed by the Second Preliminary on Saturday afternoon from noon-6 p.m. The Finals on Saturday night will feature the winners from the two preliminaries from 8-11:30 p.m.
For those wishing to attend the blues competition, tickets are $10 for BJFMS members and $15 for non-members for the Friday night show, $15 for members and $20 for non-members for Saturday afternoon and $20 for members and $25 for non-members for the Saturday night performances. Weekend passes are $40 for members and $55 for non-members.
For ticket information, call Mary Anne at 304-422-2944 or Peggy (evenings) at (740) 376-0222.
The acts competing this year include:
* 8 p.m.: Paul the Resonator (solo), Sheperdstown, W.Va
* 8:30 p.m.: The Rooster Jones Band, Akron, Ohio
* 9 p.m.: Dan Holt (solo), Mentor, Ohio
* 9:30 p.m.: Brickhouse Blues Band, Cleveland, Ohio
* 10 p.m.: Melissa McKinney and Jay Hayes (duo), Princeton, W.Va.
* 10:30 p.m.: Chaz Humley and The Effects, Teays Valley, W.Va.
* 12:30 p.m.: Vinnie and the Lubricators, Marietta
* 1 p.m.: J. Blues (solo), Parma, Ohio
* 1:30 p.m.: Dock Adams and Blues Hammer, Columbus, Ohio
* 2 p.m.: Leo Clarke (solo), Cincinnati, Ohio
* 2:30 p.m.: Doug Hart Band, Dayton Ohio
* 3 p.m.: Frank Harrison Band, Columbus, Ohio
* 3:30 p.m.: Chris Sutton (solo), Barboursville, W.Va.
* 4 p.m.: Lucia, Urbana, Ohio
* 4:30 p.m.: Little Jimmy and L.T. (duo), Elyria, Ohio
* 5p.m.: The Michael Gough Group, South Union, Ky.
* 8-11:30 p.m.: Preliminary winners compete
The winner of the 2012 River City Ohio Blues Competition in Marietta was the Tee Dee Young Band, from Lexington, Ky. Last year's third-place finisher, soloist Gary Applegate of Indianapolis, also received sponsorship to the IBC in the solo/duo category since he finished in the top three at the Marietta competition.
The IBC represents an international search by The Blues Foundation and its affiliated organizations for the blues band and blues solo/duo most deserving of taking their act to the international stage.
In previous years, the competition winner has also performed during the annual River City Blues Festival in Marietta. In a change for this year's event, the winner of the blues competition will be the opening night performer of that event, scheduled for March 15-16 for its 22nd year, organizers said.
Other acts scheduled to perform at the festival in March include Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, Rocky Lawrence, the Jake Leg Stompers, Eddie Shaw and Zac Harmon.