The beginning of the year is the perfect time to review the committees that support the activities of the Chamber of Commerce of the Mid-Ohio Valley. Serving on one of our committees is an effective way to further maximize the investment your company has made to be a member of the chamber. Most monthly committee meetings are held at lunchtime or early in the morning before the work day begins in an effort to maximize attendance and to minimize the time a member spends away from their business. Here are the five chamber committees and a brief explanation of how each committee focuses its efforts to benefit the entire chamber membership. I know you'll find an area of interest to you. Some chamber members are on multiple committees because they love making an impact on the success of the chamber, but the most important thing is to simply get involved. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know which committee you would like to join.
* Government Relations Committee, first Wednesday of each month at 8 a.m., reviews proposed legislation and recommends positions to our local elected officials and membership.
* Schools & Business Committee, first Wednesday of each month at noon, focuses on the relationship between education and the business community. The committee oversees the Partner in Education program, High School Symposium and annual teacher recognitions.
* Chamber Champions/Membership Development Committee, second Wednesday of each month at noon, members are Ambassadors of the Chamber of Commerce of the Mid-Ohio Valley. The goal of this committee is to facilitate contact with existing chamber members and work to identify new members through their contact efforts. This committee typically allots a couple hours after the monthly meeting to venture out on visits to new, existing and potential chamber members.
* Public Relations Committee, third Wednesday of each month at noon, handles communications to targeted audiences: current and new members, prospective members, government, media and the general public. Members participate in grand openings and ribbon-cutting events.
* Special Events Committee, fourth Wednesday of each month at noon, oversees the chamber's special events, including the Annual Dinner/Awards Banquet, Women in Leadership luncheon, Chili Cookoff and Business Expo.
* Grand opening for Dr. Kara Shamblin, Camden Clark Primary Care physician, 1 p.m. Dec. 18 at 2838 Pike St., Parkersburg. Join us to celebrate the grand opening of Shamblin's new office and welcome a new primary care physician to the Mid-Ohio Valley.
* Chamber Public Relations Committee meeting, noon Dec. 19 at chamber office. Feel free to bring your lunch.
Mark your calendar for these 2013 chamber special events:
* January Business After Hours at the Nutrition Pit: Tuesday, Jan. 15
* January Lunch & Learn with The Arc of the Mid-Ohio Valley: Friday, Jan. 18
* Partner in Education Luncheon: Friday, March 22
* High School Business Symposium : Wednesday, April 10
* Women in Leadership Luncheon: Wednesday, May 1
Watch for more information soon about MOV Chamber Day at the Capital and the Chamber Business Expo. Visit this space every other Sunday for more Chamber news. We also invite you to call us at 304-422-3588, email us at email@example.com, or stop by the chamber office at 409 1/2 Market St. in Parkersburg.
Jill Parsons is president/CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of the Mid-Ohio Valley