VIENNA - Ohio Valley University hopes a revamped homecoming celebration will bring more events and alumni to the college this weekend.
Highland Days, which began Friday and runs through tomorrow, is a new tradition for OVU. The event features OVU's Homecoming Celebration, an alumni talent show, a special presentation of all athletic teams, coronation of Homecoming King and Queen, and the annual Alumni Awards luncheon.
President Harold Shank said the college moved it's annual homecoming event from winter to fall to capitalize on better weather.
"We also refocused homecoming into Highland Days," he said. "We are the Fighting Scotts. That tradition goes back into the early 1960s, and the hills of West Virginia are reminiscent of the Scottish highlands. It's a dual reference to the heritage of our mascot and to our university which is on a hilltop overlooking the Mid-Ohio Valley."
Shank said Hurricane Sandy and the subsequent superstorm which battered the east coast and dropped large amounts of snow on areas of West Virginia and Ohio likely delayed some travel for alumni and potential new students. Even so, Shank said the school would capitalize on the nicer weekend weather to hold a variety of events and celebrations for those able to attend.
"We think we have a lot to show and so Highland Days is an attempt to put on our best front and to invite all the guests we can to experience all we have," he said.
This Weekend At Ohio Valley University
* 8 a.m.: Registration and breakfast, OVU cafeteria.
* 8 a.m.: Alumni Chorus rehearsal, OVU music room.
* 9 a.m.: OVU/NCJC Reunions, Isom Academic Center Pioneer Student Reunion, OVU 1962-65 /NCJC 1961-65 Mini Class Reunions, class years ending in "3" or "8."
* 10:30 a.m.: Alumni Chapel in Roberts Chapel featuring the Alumni Chorus, A Cappella Singers of OVU. Speaker: OVU President Harold Shank.
* 11:30 a.m.: Lunch, OVU cafeteria
* 11:30 a.m.: Alumni Awards Luncheon, Alumni Gym (reservations required). Tickets: Adults: $12, children (12 and younger) $6.
* 2 p.m.: Fighting Scots Sports Review, Snyder Activity Center.
* 3 p.m.: Homecoming King and Queen Coronation in Snyder following the Sports Review.
* 4 p.m.: Alumni Talent Show, Roberts Chapel. Featuring Dan Kessinger and Rick Tincher as hosts.
* 5:30 p.m.: Alumni Council Dinner, Ramsey Board Room (reservations required)
* 8 p.m.: OVU Music Revue, Erickson Theatre. Featuring: OVU music talent, jazz band and select numbers from the "Hello Dolly" musical. Tickets: $1 donation.
* 9:30 p.m.: Points of Light Ceremony, OVU Hudock Fountain
* 2 p.m.: OVU Music Revue Matinee, Erickson Theatre. Featuring: OVU music talent, jazz band, and select numbers from the "Hello Dolly" musical. Tickets: $1 donation.
* To learn more about the weekend, visit www.ovu.edu or call 1-877-446-8668.