PARKERSBURG - A variety of activities surrounding the Halloween holiday are planned throughout the area before the end of October and All Hallow's Eve on Oct. 31.
Among the scheduled community Trick or Treat times will be Williamstown and Marietta from 6:30-8 p.m. Oct. 27, St. Marys from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Oct. 27 and Parkersburg, Belpre and Vienna from 6-7:30 p.m. on Oct. 30.
Other area Halloween activities will include:
Area children will once again participate in door-to-door trick-or-treat this year.
Various “haunted” events will be happening around the Mid-Ohio Valley.
* In Parkersburg, the First Presbyterian Church Deacons and Youth Group are sponsoring a "Trunk or Treat" night from 6:30-8 p.m. Oct. 26 at the church at 1341 Juliana St.
The event, which is free and open to the public, will feature a variety of activities including games, door prizes, refreshments, inflatables for the kids to play on, popcorn, snacks and candy. If parents want to participate in the event, they should call the church office at 304-422-5426.
* In Mineral Wells, New Era School Museum is holding its third annual Haunted School House on Oct. 26-27 at Mineral Wells Elementary School on West Virginia 14. The program will be 6:30-10 p.m. both days, with admission of $2 for adults and $1 for students. There will be animated characters, scenes and ghost stories told around a campfire by members of the Mid-Ohio Valley Ghost Hunters. Refreshments and gifts will be available for sale. For more information, go to www.neweraoneroomschool.com or email email@example.com.
* In Jackson County, the fourth annual Haunted Trail and Not So Spooky Wagon Rides will be 8-11 p.m. Oct. 26-27 at the Jackson County Junior Fairgrounds in Cottageville.
Admission is $5 for the Haunted Trail and $3 for wagon rides. The event is hosted by the JCJF Equine Committee and all proceeds go to benefit the 4-H/FFA horse exhibitors in Jackson County. For more information visit www.jcjfhauntedtrail.com or call Gala Voiers at 304-273-9980
* In Parkersburg, Fairlawn Baptist Church will hold a Trunk or Treat event from 4-7 p.m. Oct. 27 at the church on West Virginia 68 at the U.S. 50/Ravenswood exit. The annual event is free and open to the public. There will be inflatable bounce houses, carnival games and prizes, hot dogs, cotton candy, popcorn and candy. For more information, call the church office at 304-863-6782.
* In Pleasants County, Carehaven of Pleasants will hold its annual Haunted Halloween Trail from 6-9 p.m. Oct. 27 in Belmont. There will be a bonfire with food and treats. The Haunted Trail begins at 7 p.m. For more information, cotnact Missi Stanley at 304-665-2065.
* The Vienna Public Library will host a book reading and signing of "Goblin Songs-Poems About Halloween and Other Mysteries" 6:30-7:30 p.m. Oct. 22. Goblin Songs is the collected works of 13 poets who meet, write, explore poetic ideas together and probe the possibilities of what can be imagined in poems that are also stories. Dubbed the Exquisite Corpses, they were named after a writing exercise of the same name which was a parlor game invented by the French Surrealist artists and writers in Paris in the early 20th century. The poets gather every week. The program is free and open to the public. Contact Vienna Public Library for more information at 304-295-7771.
* Celebrate Halloween from 1-3 p.m. at North Bend State Park Shelter #3 with games, prizes, children's costume contest, crafts and more. For more information, contact 304-643-2931.