From staff reports
PARKERSBURG - Wood County is one of 20 counties the governor is trying to get federal assistance for in recovery efforts following the derecho this past summer.
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin Tuesday requested the Federal Emergency Management Agency provide individual assistance to residents in 20 additional counties to help West Virginians recover from the June 29 storm. Previously, Tomblin won an appeal to provide individual assistance in four counties and since has been working with federal officials to include additional counties.
"Our families, seniors and individuals in these 20 counties need additional help to fully recover from the June storm," Tomblin said. "While I'm grateful to the many individuals and organizations who have worked hard to help families and businesses throughout our state, the need stretches beyond their means.
''An expansion of the July federal disaster declaration to include individual assistance can mean the world of difference for many."
Wood County Emergency Services Director Ed Hupp said much of the remaining damage is uninsured damage.
Many damage estimates the county has received have been turned over to the state, Hupp said. Cities have qualified for public assistance and are still doing the paperwork. However, a lot of the damage from the storms has been handled, he said.
Tomblin is requesting individual assistance from the federal government, including the Individuals and Households Program, Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Disaster Legal Services, Disaster Supplemental Food Nutrition Assistance Program and Crisis Counseling, and Small Business Administration disaster loans.
In addition to Wood County, the other counties in the governor's request are Boone, Cabell, Clay, Greenbrier, Harrison, Jackson, Lincoln, Mason, McDowell, Mercer, Mingo, Monroe, Pocahontas, Putnam, Randolph, Roane, Tyler, Webster and Wetzel.