Less than two weeks from today, we will be having an awesome time at Point Park for the second annual Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff on Oct. 6 from noon to 3 p.m. Groups and individuals making chili have been perfecting their recipes, past winners have titles to defend and all the preparations are being finalized.
Every organization has growing pains when launching a new event and we certainly experienced a few last year as the inaugural event at Point Park. So we've taken extra special care to design a fun event to:
* Highlight the great venue of Point Park;
* Showcase great cooks in the Mid-Ohio Valley;
* Enjoy wonderful entertainment provided by South of the River Band;
* Imbibe of some tasty brews from the North End Tavern and Pepsi Cola.
This year's event is organized by the Chamber of Commerce of the Mid-Ohio Valley and the Parkersburg Area Jaycees. We are thankful for the leadership of event chairperson Lindsey Anderson of United Bank and Jaycee co-chair Deanna Jackson with Vision Care Associates.
What else could we ask for? Great weather and at least 500 of our closest friends, co-workers and family to attend and support our event.
We wish we could offer an event with free admission, but to be honest, all events incur costs such as tents, portapotties, T-shirts, band, security, etc. So with that in mind, we have designed an event with a low admission cost so you can enjoy all the chili samples for free this year, listen to the band play your favorite tunes, plus get your own cool commemorative beer mug to use at the event (and take home with you). You'll also get one People's Choice ticket so you can vote for your favorite chili. The only thing not included in your admission ticket are your beverage purchases (make sure to bring your photo ID).
Admission cost per person: $10 for Chamber members in advance, $12 for general public in advance and $15 for all attendees at the door
Tickets are available at Advantage Bank, 1500 Grand Central Ave,; Ameriprise Financial, 3501 Emerson Ave.; Cox Family Pharmacy, 1212 Garfield Ave.; GAK3, 1915 Dudley Ave.; McNeer, Highland, McMunn & Varner, 414 Market St.; MOV Airport, Williamstown; Murray Sheet Metal, 3112 Seventh St,; Peoples Cartage/Peoples Services, 4301 Camden Ave.; Prudential Financial, 4421 Emerson Ave.; Results Radio, 5 Rosemar Circle; S&P Harley-Davidson, 80 Thunder Road; United Bank, 1 Rosemar Circle; WesBanco Bank, 415 Market St.; Willows Center, 723 Summer St.; Vision Care Associates, 402 Avery St.; and Chamber office, 409 1/2 Market St.
It's not too late to enter your chili, but we need to hear from you in the next couple days to plan accordingly. Call us at the Chamber office and we can get you signed up.
It's not too late to be a sponsor of the event. Call us at the Chamber office and we will find a sponsor level that works for you.
It's not too late to sign up to volunteer at the event. Go on-line at www.movchamber.org and tell us how you can help. We'd love to have extra sets of hands!
So no excuses for not joining us at the Chili Cookoff, right? (The WVU football game will likely be televised in the evening since they are playing in Texas.) Mark your calendar to attend and get your tickets today.
Upcoming Events, On-line registration is available at www.movchamber.org or call the Chamber at 304.422.3588:.
* Women in Leadership Luncheon, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 26 at The Blennerhassett Hotel.
* Le Colour Bar grand opening, 5-8 p.m., Sept. 30 at 811 Grand Central Ave.,Vienna.
* Great Bowls of Fire Chili Cookoff, noon to 3 p.m., Oct. 6 at Point Park in Parkersburg.
* October Lunch & Learn, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Oct. 12, at WV Association for Justice, WV Central Credit Union, 809 Division St., Parkersburg
* October Business After Hours, 5-7 p.m. Oct. 16 at Pickering Associates, 11283 Emerson Ave., Parkersburg
* October Lunch Mob, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Oct. 17 at Burger King, 514 Division St., Parkersburg.
* October Lunch & Learn, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Oct. 19 at Pars Brain & Spine Institute at WV Central Credit Union, 809 Division St., Parkersburg.
* Candidate Forum with the League of Women Voters, 7-9 p.m. Oct. 22, Judge Black Annex, 315 Market St., Parkersburg. The following candidates are being invited by the League of Women Voters: U.S. Congress, 1st District, David McKinley and Sue Thorn; state Senate, District 3, Donna Boley,state House of Delegates, District 8, Bill Anderson and Denzil Malone; state House of Delegates, District 9, Anna Border and Jim Marion; state House of Delegates, District 10, Tom Azinger, John Ellem, Fred Gillespie and Dan Poling; Wood County Commission, David Couch and Harry Dietzler.
* Chamber Annual Dinner and Awards Banquet, 5-8 p.m., Nov. 8 at The Parkersburg Art Center.
Visit this space every other Sunday for more Chamber news. We also invite you to call us at 304-422-3588, email us at email@example.com, or stop by the Chamber office at 409 1/2 Market St. in Parkersburg.
Jill Parsons is president and CEO of the Chamber of Commerce of the Mid-Ohio Valley.