Two important dates and events are coming up soon.
First, the 65-member U.S. Army Field Band's Concert Band and 29-voice Soldiers' Choir will perform a free concert at 7 p.m. Sept. 19 in the Parkersburg High School Field House.
Secondly, Sept. 17 is the deadline to enter this year's annual News and Sentinel Cookbook Contest.
Sponsored by The News and Sentinel with the cooperation of Parkersburg High School, the two-hour performance will feature the 65-member band and 29-voice chorus performing a variety of music, ranging from military marches, to concert pieces, to a salute to military veterans and their branches of service.
"It is always a great pleasure to sponsor the performance of a military band in our community, which has a long and strong tradition of military service, respect and support," said Jim Spanner, News and Sentinel publisher.
Concert attendees are advised to be in their seats in the Field House by 6:45 p.m., as all seats are first-come, first-seated.
In previous years, free tickets from The News and Sentinel were needed to attend the performance, but due to the large seating capacity in the Field House, tickets will not be needed for this performance.
An added attraction in the concert will be the opportunity for up to eight members of the PHS band and up to eight members of the PHS choir to perform with the army musicians.
Don't forget, Sept. 17 is the deadline to enter this year's News and Sentinel Cookbook contest.
Grand-prize winner will receive a $500 gift card from Foodland and there will be prizes for each category winner.
The annual edition will appear in the newspaper the Sunday before Thanksgiving.
Categories for 2012 are appetizers, soups, salads, breads, main dishes, side dishes and desserts.
To win prizes, you must follow these rules:
1. Each contestant may enter no more than a total of 25 recipes, up to five recipes in each of five categories. This means you MAY NOT enter ALL categories, but must select your favorite five.
Make sure to note what category (or categories) you are entering and count your entries before sending them in. If you send more than five recipes in any one category or enter more than five categories NONE of your recipes will be entered into competition.
2. Recipes must be typed or printed legibly, one entry per page. Every entry must contain your name, address and telephone number. If we cannot contact you, you cannot win. At the top of each page, give the category the recipe is being entered in and the name of the recipe.
Every recipe is retyped by members of our staff. It is important that we be able to clearly read the measurements, ingredients and directions. It is also important we are able to identify and contact you.
3. Read your recipes through before sending, or even better, have someone else read them to make sure they are complete. Be sure to include pan size, temperature and length of cooking time. DO NOT say "put in oven and cook until done." DO SAY "put in 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown." DO NOT say "put in pan and cook." DO SAY "put in medium saucepan over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally."
Only give brand names if necessary to the success of the dish, but if purchased ingredients are used, be sure to give package size. For example: DO NOT say "add one box JELL-O pudding." DO SAY "add one 4-oz. box instant pudding mix."
Remember, readers will be trying to duplicate your dishes at home, so make it a pleasant experience for them by making your recipes easy to read and directions easy to follow.
4. Recipes may be emailed to email@example.com. The same rules apply: one recipe per message, with the category, name of recipe and complete contact information (name, address, phone number) on each. The recipe MUST be in the body of the email, NOT an attachment. Email messages with attachments will be returned.
5. Recipes may be dropped off at The Parkersburg News and Sentinel office at 519 Juliana St., Parkersburg, or mailed to Cookbook Editor, The Parkersburg News and Sentinel, P.O. Box 1788, Parkersburg, WV 26102.
6. Recipes must be postmarked (or email messages timestamped) no later than midnight Sept. 12. No late submissions will be accepted.
7. If selected as a finalist, you must be available to attend the Tasting Party on Oct. 24. Complete details will be provided after finalists are chosen.
Contact Jim Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org