PENNSBORO-A Ritchie County man is in a Huntington hospital after suffering severe burns Monday morning.
Brian Leisure of Ellenboro was burned Monday morning while working as a mechanic at Goff Road Used Autos in Pennsboro.
Victoria Testerman, who works with Leisure, said the mechanic was removing a gas tank when it spilled and was ignited by an open flame.
Jim White, assistant fire chief with the Pennsboro Volunteer Fire Department, said the fumes from the tank ignited a nearby stove, causing an explosion.
The accident happened around 9:30 a.m. Monday. Testerman said the Pennsboro Volunteer Fire Department and the Ritchie County EMS responded.
White said Leisure suffered burns to 55 percent of his body.
- Brian Leisure of Ellenboro injured in explosion at Pennsboro business.
- Leisure listed in serious condition at Huntington hospital.
"He managed to get out of the garage with assistance," White said. "When we arrived on scene he was standing outside and we got him to an ambulance."
Leisure was taken by helicopter to Cabell Huntington Hospital burn unit.
He is listed in serious condition.
White said the explosion caught the garage on fire, but the fire department was able to contain to a single bay of the garage. White said the amount of damage to the structure has not been determined.