Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | All Access E-Edition | Home RSS

Area organizations seek $100K in funding

June 25, 2013

PARKERSBURG — Area nonprofits and community organizations have requested in excess of $100,000 in funding from the Wood County Commission....

« Back to Article

sort: oldest | newest




Jun-26-13 8:18 AM

Go ahead Wood County. Give the money to the elite.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 10:00 PM

I think it is a shame and disgrace to actually even think of giving 'surplus' money to add more hiking and biking trails when the city has areas here in town that look like this. But I guess as I was told once, 'this is a poor neighborhood anyway.' It just doesn't count. The sidewalks are almost unusable, the street itself is a bumpy mess. Clean up the city you have before you start beautifying an area that is already in so much better condition.

2 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 9:51 PM

I would suggest the 'surplus' money should be used to clean up the neighborhood of 19th through 16th st on Latrobe. I mean by cleaning it up,painting houses in need and tearing down the abandoned ones. There is an abandoned house in the 17 hundred block that has been empty for 5 years that I know of, another one on the 16 hundred block that is literally falling down. They are both falling down and should be condemed. But oh wait! One was given to the Latrobe st mission so it can just sit there and endanger everyone around who happens to walk down the sidewalk. The other one has the back entry stairs falling away. Perfect place for a crack house. Can't some of that suplus money be used to actually clean this area up?

2 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 7:58 PM

With so many homeless, hungry and out of work people in Wood County I think spending money on recreational walk areas and tennis courts sounds kinda silly. And why does the MOVFH need 5 grand? The clients already get food stamps and medical cards and I know plenty of people who have lived there who never had to pay a dime of rent. So what's up with dat?

5 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 12:58 PM

Canniballoe- Organizations approach the commission throughout the year. Sometimes requests are granted on the spot, and sometimes they are told to wait until the end of the fiscal year to see if there is additional money available for organizational assistance. Most likely these were the organizations that were told that they'd have to wait and see about funding. It would be surprising if all these organizations were granted the full amount requested even with the surplus.

1 Agrees | 0 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 12:32 PM

If money IS given to North Hills for improvement of recreation facilities, a sign should be required and prominently placed clearly indicating that those improvements are now open to the public. In the past, only members of the North Hills swim and racquet club have been permitted.

9 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 12:24 PM

If there is a surplus they should lower property taxes; they should not try to appear magnanamous to organizations made up of people they play golf with. Especially with other people's money. Let North Hills raise their home owner's assoc. fee if they want more recreation areas.

9 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »


Jun-25-13 10:14 AM

seems like alot of these requests are for services that only a "select" few can enjoy.Odd timing with the announcement of the news that there's a surplus.

8 Agrees | 1 Disagrees | Report Abuse »

Showing 8 of 8 comments


I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web