Partner in Education program, luncheon held
We were blessed to have 250 students, school personnel and business reps attend last week’s annual Partner in Education luncheon. Many thanks to our host, West Virginia University at Parkersburg, for the gracious hospitality!
Each year since the MOV Chamber launched the Partner in Education program in 1985 we have held an annual luncheon to celebrate the school/business partnerships. Each of the 27 public schools, the 1 technical center, one 1 adult education center and the 4 private schools in Wood County have at least ONE business partner. Some schools have several business partners.
Over the past school year I’m excited to share we added a record 7 new partnerships:
* CAS Cable with the Wood County Technical Center
* D&R Heating & Cooling with the Wood County Technical Center
* First Settlement Physical Therapy with Mineral Wells Elementary School
* The Blennerhassett Hotel with Parkersburg High School
* Smith Orthodontics with Parkersburg Catholic Elementary School
* Ohio Valley Health Care with Parkersburg Catholic Elementary School
* Mountain State College with VanDevender Middle School
The 2018 Wood County Teacher of the Year, Cheryl Olcott, was our featured speaker at the luncheon, leading the group in an activity and discussion about communication. Olcott is a communication teacher at Parkersburg South High School, where she has taught for 19 years. Her energy and presentation certainly validated her selection as Teacher of the Year! (Next year we hope to have the 2019 Teacher of the Year Lori Zyla at the luncheon. As a theater/speech and debate teacher, I’m sure Zyla will be very entertaining to the students and adults alike!)
As we finish up the 2018-2019 school year, our Partner in Education liaison Ben Poling (with McDonough, Eddy, Parsons & Baylous) will be reviewing all the school/business pairings and meeting with potential new partners over the summer. Every partnership is unique — some businesses are able to help out on a financial level and others are able to help out with people and resources for activities. If your business is interested in learning more about becoming a Partner in Education with a school in Wood County, please reach out to the Chamber at your earliest convenience so that we can coordinate a discussion and hopefully make a connection before the school year starts again in August.
Thank you to all the business partners for your commitment to education as a member of the MOV Chamber of Commerce Partner in Education Program!
* May Business After Hours hosted by the Actors Guild; Tuesday, May 21 from 5-7 p.m. at 724 Market Street, Parkersburg.
The Actors Guild of Parkersburg invites you to “Be a Star!” Come and explore our theatre. Join members of the cast of “Mamma Mia!” in the Rehearsal Hall and learn one of the numbers from the show. Choose your own costume and props and take and post a selfie on our stage. Come to our “Cast Party” in the new Green Room with hot and cold hors d’oeuvres and beverages. Have dessert in the Guild’s Annex and watch performances by the incredibly talented young people from our Guild Builders program. See all of the renovations that have been completed, and learn about the future phases of our renovation project. By the time you leave you, too, will “Be a Star!”
Open to all Chamber members. Please RSVP if you plan to attend this event.
Thinking about joining the Chamber and want to try us out? This Business After Hours would be a great opportunity — we’d love to have you as our guest. Please give us a call at 304-422-3588 if you would like to join us at this event.
* Ribbon Cutting for Wenmoth Insurance; Thursday, May 23 from 2-3 p.m. at 501 Division Street, Parkersburg. Join us to celebrate the Grand Opening of Wenmoth Insurance!
* Lunch & Learn hosted by Biztec; Thursday, May 30 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Details being finalized — check movchamber.org for specifics.
* Ribbon Cutting for the Schwendeman Agency 90th Anniversary; Thursday, May 30 at 1:30 p.m. at 109 Putnam Street, Marietta The Schwendeman Agency is turning 90 years old!
* Ribbon Cutting for Hometown Endodontics; Friday, May 31 at 411 28th Street, Vienna (check movchamber.org for the event time) Join us to celebrate the Grand Opening of Hometown Endodontics!
Visit this space every other Sunday for more Chamber news. We also invite you to call us at 304-422-3588, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the Chamber office at 501 Avery Street, 9th Floor in Parkersburg.