Park Place gave way to Camden Clark
Park Place, started in the 1890s, still beautiful section of city
Beautifully landscaped housing developments aren’t a new thing in Parkersburg, for at the foot of Eighth St. in the heart of the city is a development that had its beginnings in the early 1900s and is still one of the city’s most beautiful sections.
Through a huge ornate iron archway passes the private drive which circles the shaded expanse of the beautiful Park Place, which grew out of the foresight of two of the city’s oldest and successful businessmen, W.W. Jackson and James Creighton, at the turn of the century.
The tract of land, a portion of which is now encircled with the wrought iron fence of the Park Place development, was a part of the old Murdoch estate.
The original development of this section of property began in the early 1890s with the purchase of the lot on which now stands the Camden Clark Memorial hospital by Senator J.N. Camden for the sum of $540 to be used for the site of the senator’s home.
The next step of the development started shortly afterward when the lower end of the Murdoch Avenue tract was laid off in lots and offered for sale. The first lots sold rapidly and a number of cottages were built on them, some of which are still in the families of the first owners.
It wasn’t until the beginning of construction of the Chancellor Hotel, the Union Trust building and the Camden theatre that the development of what is now the Park Place proper began to take shape. W.W. Jackson, the father of Willard Jackson of the Parkersburg National Bank, was the owner of the property then and he started the huge job of filling the lower portions of the Park Place tract with the dirt excavated from the construction of these buildings
In 1913, James Creighton bought Jackson’s entire holdings and completed the construction of the house on the far side of the park which were later sold. Creighton held the Park Place until his death, after which it became the property of his heir.
The Parkersburg News
Sept. 2, 1951
The Wood County Historical Society works to preserve yesterday for tomorrow. For more information, contact P.O. Box 565, Parkersburg, WV 26102