ATHENS, Ohio — The Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports Aug. 27:
* On Aug. 24, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Monserat Ridge Road in reference to a dispute. After speaking with all four parties, it was decided to issue trespass complaints against two of them. No further action needed.
* On Aug. 24, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of a vehicle being entered during the early morning hours on Pettit Road area. The complainant advised that she did not wish for any response, but only wished to have the incident on file in case any neighbors had the same thing happen to them. No further actions were needed.
* On Aug. 24, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to McKee’s Auto Parts for a suspicious vehicle. Deputies were advised that the vehicle had left prior to their arrival. However, the vehicle was observed driving on Hamley Shortcut, with a heavily damaged windshield, no front plate and no trailer plate. A traffic stop was conducted, and the registration returned as expired. When deputies made contact with the driver, it was observed that two children under the age of 8 were not in child restraints. Therefore, citations were issued for multiple violations and the vehicle and trailer were towed by Athens Towing.
* On Aug. 24, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office assisted the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office with a traffic stop on Johnson Road near the highway. Deputies initiated a traffic stop on a gray Kia driven by Gerald Sturdivant, who had an active felony arrest warrant out of Athens County. Sturdivant was arrested and transported to SEORJ on his warrant.
* On Aug. 25, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office, while stopped at the intersection of Converse Street and Main Street in Chauncey, observed a vehicle blow through the intersection nearly striking the deputies cruiser. Deputies conducted a traffic stop with the vehicle and determined the brakes to have failed on the vehicle. Luckily no accidents had occurred, and no persons were injured. The deputy assisted the driver, who was elderly and did not have a phone to contact anyone. The deputy contacted the driver’s insurance company and assisted in contacting a tow company and ride for the driver. No further action.
* On Aug. 25, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to C&E Hardware in The Plains for a criminal damaging report. Deputies observed damage to a U-Haul Truck’s driver’s side window. A copper BB was located and taken as evidence.
* On Aug. 26, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was on a traffic stop on U.S. 33 and was nearly struck by a passing vehicle. Deputies quickly concluded the current stop and proceeded towards the additional violator vehicle. A traffic stop was conducted, and an odor of marijuana was present coming from the vehicle. During a search, deputies along with the Ohio State Highway Patrol recovered baggies of marijuana and a loaded 9mm handgun. Additional items of drug paraphernalia were recovered, and citations for the possession were issued. The firearm was taken as evidence, and additional charges of improperly handling a firearm in a motor vehicle are being requested from the Grand Jury.
* On Aug. 26, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a theft from a building in Trimble Township. Deputies completed a report and collected evidence from the scene at that time. This matter is currently under investigation.
* On Aug. 26, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was advised of a possible explosion and house fire in the village of Trimble. Deputies responded to scene which was being worked by Jacksonville and Glouster Fire Departments. The single victim of the incident was transported by Athens County EMS and later flown for treatment. This matter is currently being investigated by the Ohio Division of State Fire Marshal.
* On Aug. 26, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Jacksonville for an alleged theft. This matter is under investigation.
* On Aug. 26, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to Carr Road for a reported dispute. Deputies were advised that a green Camaro had come to the property in an attempt to fight another person. Deputies arrived on scene and observed 2 persons run into the woods. Deputies detained multiple subjects and searched the wooded area to find one male hiding behind a tree. That male was found to have a crystal-like substance on his person. The substance (believed to be methamphetamine) was taken as evidence to be sent off for lab testing in reference to additional charges. The vehicle in question was towed due to improper registration. This case is active pending lab results.
ATHENS — The Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports Aug. 28:
* The sheriff’s office was called to Louisa Avenue for an attempted breaking and entering. The caller advised he heard someone trying to turn the door handle and when he looked out the door, a male ran away.
* The sheriff’s office responded to North Akron Avenue for a child custody issue. Deputies spoke with involved parties and Children Services about the matter. A compromise was made between parties until a formal meeting with Children Services could be made.