ATHENS, Ohio — The Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports Aug. 13:
* On the afternoon of Aug. 12, the Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was called out to investigate a possible methamphetamine laboratory at 7 Beech Street, The Plains. The home had new residents and they discovered suspicious items that they suspected were dangerous. After an initial inspection of the scene by Athens County sheriff’s deputies, MCU was called. At the scene several items, some of them flammable, were discovered. All of the items grouped together are commonly used in the manufacturing of methamphetamine. This investigation is ongoing.
* On Aug. 10, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to assist Glouster Police and The Athens County Prosecutor’s Office on Derrthick Road. Deputies were advised a male had led Glouster Police in a pursuit that ended at the Derrthick Road and Taylor Ridge intersections. A Sheriff’s K-9 was deployed; however, the suspect was not located. This case is being handled by GPD and the Prosecutor’s Office.
* On Aug. 10, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of a theft from a barn on New Marshfield Road. The reported stolen items were two batteries that were in two different tractors, a logging chain, a diesel fuel can, a Skilz angle grinder and a Sawsall. The complainant advised that the items were taken from his farm after an incident occurred in front of the barn lot involving the Athens County Sheriff’s Office and two suspects. The complainant stated that a PT Cruiser was left in his barn lot and the vehicle had been tagged by the Sheriff’s Office to be towed in four hours. The complainant left for work shortly after but returned home and found that the PT Cruiser was gone and several items from his farm had been taken as well. This case is under investigation.
* On Aug. 10, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office conducted a traffic stop on East Second Street in The Plains for an equipment violation. While speaking with the driver, an odor of marijuana was smelled coming from the vehicle. Deputies conducted a search and located a baggie of marijuana in the trunk of the vehicle, including a marijuana pipe. These items were collected, and this case is active.
* On Aug. 11, a resident of E. First Street reported that cash and a debit card were stolen from her residence and the card has been used. A report was taken, and an investigation is pending.
* On Aug. 11, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to State Route 56 for a report of an unknown male attempting to enter a home. The resident advised she did not know the male and was able to lock the door. Once on scene, the responding deputy located the male running across the yard and was able to place him under arrest. The male appeared to be under the influence of alcohol and was not able to say why he was at the residence. The male, Steven Fisher, was transported to SEORJ and charged with disorderly conduct by intoxication.
* On Aug. 12, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of a theft of three vehicles from a residence on New Marshfield Road. After the complainant described one of the stolen vehicles, deputies recognized it from a call on New Marshfield Road a few days ago. Deputies then drove to the residence where it was believed to be at on Gun Club Road and located that vehicle. The stolen PT Cruiser was located near one of the barns on the property. Its doors had been cut off and all the wheels had also been removed. Other items that had been reported stolen from a farm on New Marshfield Road were also located in the garage next to the residence. Those items were collected and placed into evidence. The individuals who live at the residence on Gun Club Road said the suspect had left the scene roughly 30 minutes prior to deputy’s arrival. A tow truck was requested and was able to tow the PT Cruiser to a secure location. At this time, deputies are still searching for the suspect, John Perry Jr. The other two stolen vehicles are a dark in color 1993 Honda Civic two-door and a 1997 Chevy Suburban. If anyone has information regarding the whereabouts of John Perry Jr. and the other two stolen vehicles, call the Athens County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency phone number at 740-593-6633.
* On Aug. 12, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of theft of medication from Oak Street in The Plains. Deputies were advised that an entire bottle of Oxycodone pills was taken from within the residence. It was advised that 180 pills were in the bottle. A report was filed, and a possible suspect is being sought.
* On Aug. 12, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report that a blue 2017 Honda Accord was parked at Dollar General in The Plains on Aug. 12 around 8:45 p.m. Another vehicle struck the Honda causing considerable damage to the driver side. There was a large amount of yellow paint transfer from the suspect vehicle. The suspect vehicle left the scene. Anyone with information regarding this hit skip is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office at 740.593.6633.
* On Aug. 12, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report of two bicycles being stolen from the SR 682 residence recently. The bicycles were described as a 24-inch purple mountain bike (females) and a small kids hot wheels bike, blue and orange with training wheels. Anyone with information on the location of said bikes is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 740-593-6633.
* On Aug. 12, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to Penn Street in Glouster for a report of a disorderly person in the street. Deputies arrived and made contact with a male who was shouting for another male to come outside. The male outside believed that the male inside had assaulted his sister and wanted to take matters into his own hands. The male, Nathan West, was showing an active warrant for his arrest; however, jail bed space was full. Therefore, West was transported to a residence for the remainder of the night. West was advised to appear in court on Aug. 13 in reference to his warrant.