ATHENS, Ohio — The Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports July 23:
* On July 20, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to the Trimble Car Wash in reference to an overdose. Upon deputy’s arrival, the suspect was awake and cleaning his vehicle, however it was determined by physical indicators the male subject was under the influence of some type of opiate. The suspect gave verbal consent to search the vehicle and syringes and other drug paraphernalia with residue of a narcotic. Items were seized as evidence and sent for testing. Case is still under investigation.
* On July 20, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to Ketchum’s Store in Hockingport in reference to a theft that occurred. A report was taken, and the matter is currently under investigation.
* On July 20, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to Lexington Avenue for a report of tires being slashed. Deputies observed damage to a vehicle’s rear passenger tire which appeared to have been punctured recently. Deputies photographed the damage and spoke with the complainant who stated she was not aware of who could have done this. With no suspects at the time, this case will be closed.
* On July 21, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to Estates Drive in reference to a purse being stolen out of a vehicle. The suspect gained entry by busting the rear driver’s side window. The purse was reported as being a beige alligator skin purse containing a royal blue wallet. The contents of the purse may have a driver’s license out of Florida, credit cards and other items commonly found in a purse.
* On July 21, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to the Palmer Street in reference to a theft of a television set. The complainant advised he believed it was a nearby neighbor that took the television set. Case is currently under investigation.
* On July 21, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Alexander Presbyterian Church area in reference to it being burglarized. Upon deputy’s arrival, it was determined there was forced entry into the church and the tire iron used to gain forced entry was left at the scene. The case is currently under investigation.
*On July 21, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office conducted a traffic stop in the SR-13 area in reference to a follow-up on a complaint of high speed driving on Ellis Avenue in Chauncey. While making contact with the suspect vehicle and driver, a large amount of syringe caps and syringes were located. After verbal consent to search the vehicle was given, a search was conducted, and narcotics and drug paraphernalia were found in the vehicle. Items will be sent to lab for testing for charges.
* On July 22, the Athens County Sheriff’s Office took a report of a theft of vehicle that was left at the Coolspot parking lot in Coolville. The complainant resides in Parkersburg as well as the possible suspect(s). She described the vehicle as a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, black in color, West Virginia license plate number 61L989. A BOLO was put out for the vehicle. If anyone has information on the location of the vehicle, call the Athens County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency phone number at 740-593-6633.
ATHENS, Ohio — On July 26 the Athens County Sheriff’s Department released the following reports:
* The Athens County Sheriff’s Office arrested 56-year-old Jack Coen for stealing a van from the “Auto Exchange” in The Plains. Coen was also found to have an active felony warrant out of the Athens Common Pleas Court for drug possession. Coen was transported to the regional jail on the active warrant and grand theft charge.
* The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received a report from a South Sixth Street resident regarding a group of juveniles that had shot a dog with a BB gun the night before. The complainant was able to give a description of the male with the BB gun. On South Fifth Street, a similar incident involving a broken window was taken. The evidence from the broken window points toward a BB as well. The suspect(s) also wrote FOX with mud on the side of the complaint’s truck. The deputy taking the report spoke with the possible juvenile suspects and their guardian. The juveniles were advised that per their juvenile probation officer, they were now under house arrest until the probation officer contacts them. This case is still under investigation regarding charges.