ATHENS, Ohio — On March 16 the following reports were released by the Athens County Sheriff’s Department:
* The Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office requested assistance with attempting to locate a vehicle near the Torch roadside rest area. Jason Austin, 34, of Lancaster, was being sought for crimes committed in Fairfield County. Deputies located the vehicle at the rest area around 4:10 a.m. and requested the assistance of the Ohio State Highway Patrol and Washington County Sheriff’s Office. At 4:27 a.m. sheriff’s deputies entered the rest area and the driver of a 2004 Chrysler Sebring fled at a high rate of speed. A pursuit was initiated with the suspect fleeing into the Belpre area near Farson Street where stop sticks were set up. The suspect vehicle avoided the stop sticks and changed directions fleeing back on U.S. 50 eastbound and eventually taking the U.S. 50 East exit and fleeing into West Virginia where the pursuit was terminated.
* Sheriff’s deputies assisted in a vehicle pursuit that originated in Wood County, West Virginia. The suspect had stolen a vehicle in West Virginia and was pursued across the state lines into Washington County. The suspect then drove through Athens County near Coolville and into Meigs County. Athens County deputies took up positions on the Athens-Meigs County lines and stood by with tire deflation devices in case the subject attempted to re-enter Athens County. Jason Austin, 34, of Lancaster, was eventually apprehended in Meigs County.
* Deputies responded to a report of a domestic dispute in York Township. Deputies arrived on scene and spoke with the involved parties. No physical violence had occurred. The parties wanted to separate at that time. Deputies stood by on scene until one party packed their belongings and left.
* Deputies responded to Strouds Run Road, Athens, in reference to a dispute. Upon arrival both parties gave conflicting statements about what took place but neither wished to provide a written statement. The male had packed most of his belongings in his truck and was planning on leaving and not coming back.
* Deputies were called to Ohio 691, Nelsonville, for an incident report. The caller advised his wife was arrested a couple days ago for an OVI and he was reporting he and his wife were drugged by a friend. The complainant stated he talked to his attorney and he advised him to file a report with the sheriff’s office.
* Deputies were called to Rite Aid in The Plains for a report of suspicious residue located on the back of the toilet. The white powder, coupled with some larger particles on the floor, appears to be pills crushed for ingestion. The supervisor advised the week prior similar residue was located on the changing table in the restroom.
* Deputies responded to Spice Lick Road, Nelsonville, in reference to a dispute. Upon arrival the female had packed most of her belongings in her car and was planning on leaving and not coming back.
* Deputies were dispatched to the Coolville boat ramp area on a report of a suspicious vehicle. The area was patrolled and no vehicles were found to be in the area.