On the Record
PARKERSBURG — Wood County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports on May 29.
* Howard Randall Sargent Jr., 52, of Knotts Avenue, was issued a citation for no motor vehicle inspection and no insurance.
* Edker Doyle Carpenter, 49, of George Street, was arrested on a warrant issued through the West Virginia State Police on charge of failure to register as a sex offender.
* David Allen Richards Jr., 25, of Lincoln Street, was arrested on charge of grand larceny.
* Brandon Bert Feick, 39, of Irene Lane, was arrested on charge of domestic battery.
* Brian James Blanc, 31, of W. Lubeck Hills Drive, was issued a citation for expired registration.
* David Franklin Thomas, 21, of Nicely Avenue, was arrested on a warrant for driving on suspended and no insurance.
MARIETTA — Washington County Sheriff’s Department released the following reports May 29.
* Deputies responded to 1455 State Route 618, Belpre, in reference to a possible burglary in progress. Deputies arrived and located a male subject on the porch of the residence. The male subject, identified as Allison Edward Phillips, advised he had been riding his bike all day in the heat and thought the house was vacant and was there to get a drink of water. Deputies located a pair of gloves in one of the windows.
There was a storm window lying on the porch that appeared to have been removed and another storm window tampered with. Deputies also found fingerprints and handprints suggesting someone had attempted to lift the window to gain entry into the house. David Matheny, the homeowner, returned and walked the property to determine if anything had been stolen. Phillips denied trying to breaking into the house. Phillips, 36, 300 High St., Apt. 207, Oak Hill, W.Va., was placed under arrest for attempted burglary and breaking and entering. While searching Phillips, Sgt. Holbert located a syringe in a pocket. Phillips was also charged with possession of a drug abuse instrument.
* Lt. Hornbeck was dispatched to Liberty Township in reference to a disorderly conduct/trespassing complaint. This case remains under investigation.
* Sgt. Johnson met with Drew Hanson in reference to the theft of a 2003 Suzuki motorcycle from Coal Run, Ohio. This case remains under investigation.
* Lt. Hornbeck met with Dustin Church, Amesville, Ohio, in reference to subject(s) entering the home in the past couple of days using bodily force. Items listed as missing include a toolbox, tools, Apple Watch, and video game system. This case remains under investigation.
* Lt. Hunter and Deputy Reynolds met with Robert Chamberlain in Warren Township in reference to a Kawasaki Mule and trailer missing. This case remains under investigation.
* Deputies responded to 1029 Barth Road, Belpre, to a report by Melinda Whealdon stating her son James Whealdon was out of control threatening himself and others. The Whealdons were in a verbal argument, at which time she went to get someone to assist her in dealing with James. Melinda stated upon returning a verbal altercation ensued. The argument eventually led to James “chest bumping” Melinda and then making comments about using a shotgun against other family members. Based on all information received at the time of the investigation, James Bertram Whealdon, 31, 987 Barth Road, Belpre, was arrested for domestic violence and transported to the Washington County Jail.
* Deputy Hall responded with several other deputies to 11121 Veto Road, Belpre, regarding a report that William Murphy made threatening comments toward law enforcement. Contact was made with Murphy after making an approach on his residence. Murphy came out of the residence unarmed and was detained without incident. Murphy denied making the threat as law enforcement had heard it; however, he did say he shut and locked his gate and if any deputy tried to come to get him, he would defend himself. William Ray Murphy, 72, was charged with aggravated menacing, and transported to the Washington County Jail.
The following other subjects were processed into the Washington County Jail May 28 and 29.
* Vickie Marie Thompson, 36, 105 Gilman Ave., Apt. 6, Marietta, receiving stolen property and possession of drugs, both felonies, and receiving stolen property, a misdemeanor.
* John Wesley Hoy, 41, 302 Walnut St., Belpre, probation violation, a misdemeanor.
ATHENS — Athens County Sheriff’s Office released the following reports on May 29.
* The Sheriff’s Office responded to the Medcare Ambulance station in The Plains regarding a subject asking for a ride to the hospital. The subject stated they were suffering from anxiety and had thoughts of harming themselves. Deputies transported the subject to O’Bleness Hospital to be evaluated.
* The Sheriff’s Office received a report from a Diamond Brick Road resident in Nelsonville that his black 2005 Chevy Duramax 2500 with tinted headlights was stolen from his residence.
* The Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to a Beech Road residence in The Plains for a complaint of threats and harassment.
* The Sheriff’s Office received a report from a Scenic Lane resident in Nelsonville that his vehicle was entered overnight with personal information stolen.
* The Sheriff’s Office was advised by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office they had in custody an Athens man with active warrants. Deputies met WCSO at the county line and took custody of Anthony R. James, 49, of Reedsville, and transported him to SEORJ without incident.