Warren BOE gets update on building program

VINCENT — The Warren Local Schools Board of Education Monday approved a resolution for the removal of a gas line at the site where a school is being built.

The board approved a resolution to allow Superintendent Kyle Newton to contract for the line’s removal.

The district is building two schools and expanding and renovating a third on the Warrior Drive property, funded by the passage of a bond levy in 2017. The foundation is under way for the elementary school and site preparation has begun for the high school.

The project is budgeted at more than $63 million. The district already has struck an agreement to cap two gas wells on the property.

Also at Monday’s meeting, the board received a massive rewriting of its policy manual from board member and policy committee chair Debbie Proctor.

Newton said the changes were extensive because the manual hadn’t been thoroughly updated for several years.

Newton also told the board that all teaching positions in the district, barring unexpected retirements or resignations, are now filled.

“When I started seven years ago, we’d have 16 or 18 leaving, and most of that was boomers retiring, but we also had some moving elsewhere,” he said. “We’re retaining our teachers now; we only lost six this year and last year.”

The next board meeting is 6 p.m. Aug. 19 in the administrative offices on Sweetapple Road.

COMMENTS