Washington County Fair parades through Marietta
MARIETTA — The 2018 Washington County Fair Parade kicked off the annual five-day parade along Front Street on Saturday morning.
The 90-minute parade featured dozens of units, including high school bands, civic organization, veterans organizations, area businesses, political candidates and others.
Parade watchers lines Front Street from the Ohio River Levee at one end to the Washington County Fairgrounds at the other, cheering on the units and collecting candy and other treats thrown out by the passing units and floats.
Belpre resident Josh Harvey was watching the parade with family members, including several younger ones who kept busy picking up candy and other treats.
“I loved it. It’s one of the best ones I’ve been to. I’m glad it ended before the (Ohio State University) Buckeye game, though,” he said.
Harvey said he likes to visit the Washington County Fair a couple of times during the weekend, especially to watch the bull riding, which was scheduled to be featured at 7 p.m. today at the Grandstands at the fairgrounds.
“Those are a different breed, those are some roughnecks,” he said of the riders.
The fair continues through Tuesday at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Marietta. Daily admission is $8 with children 6 and under admitted free. A season or membership pass is $25. Tuesday is Military and Veteran Appreciation Day with free admission for all veterans and active military
The fair schedule includes:
* 9 a.m.: Worship Service — Horse Arena; Jr. Fair Goat Showmanship — Multi-Purpose Bldg.; Jr. Fair Rabbit Showmanship — Poultry Bldg.
* 11 a.m.: Jr. Fair Market Goat Show (Market) — Multi-Purpose Bldg; followed by Pee Wee Showmanship; Jr. Fair Rabbit Show (Market) — Poultry Bldg.
* Noon: Midway Opens; Horse Harness Racing — Track; Jerry Mitchem Bluegrass Band — Entertainment — Midway
* 1 p.m.: Cake Eating Contest — Multi-Purpose Bldg.; Rabbit Dress Up Contest — Poultry Bldg.; Jr. Fair Rabbit Breed Show — Poultry Bldg.; followed by Pee Wee Showmanship; Jr. Fair Horse Show — Horse Arena
* 2 p.m.: Phase 2 — Entertainment — Midway; Jr. Fair Goat Breeding Show — Multi-Purpose Bldg.
* 3 p.m. Coin Hunt (12 and under) — Petting Zoo; Ladies Lead and Goat Dress Up — Multi-Purpose Bldg.
* 4 p.m.: Jr. Fair Style Show — Jr. Fair Bldg.; Jr. Fair Lamb Showmanship — Multi-Purpose Bldg.
* 5-6 p.m.: Midway shuts down for inspection
* 5 p.m.: Farm Chore Relay — Civitan Park; Iron Chef Competition — Jr. Fair Bldg.
* 6 p.m.: Jr. Fair Market Lamb Show — Multi-Purpose Bldg.; Waterford FFA Pedal Pull — Petting Zoo
* 7 p.m.: SEBRA Bulls and Broncs — Grandstands
* 8-11 p.m.: Teen Dance — Roller Rink
* 8:30 p.m.: Jr. Fair Sheep Breeding Show — Multi-Purpose Bldg.
* 11 p.m.: Midway Closes
* 8-10 a.m.: 4-H Pancake Flippin’ Breakfast and Show — Jr. Fair Bldg.
* 10 a.m.: Jr. Fair Dairy Showmanship — Multi-Purpose Bldg.
* 11 a.m.: Jr. Fair Dairy Breeding Judging — Multi-Purpose Bldg.; followed by Pee Wee Showmanship
* Noon: Midway Opens; Horse Harness Racing — Track; Phase 2 — Entertainment — Midway
* 1-7 p.m.: Election of Fair Board Directors — Home Arts Bldg.
* 1-3 p.m.: Cloverbud Activities — Jr. Fair Bldg.
* 1 p.m.: Cake Eating Contest — Multi-Purpose Bldg.
* 3 p.m.: Coin Hunt (12 and under) — Petting Zoo
* 5-6 p.m.: Midway shuts down for Inspection
* 5 p.m.: Farm Chore Relay
* 6 p.m.: Overall Showmanship Contest — Horse Arena and Multi-Purpose Bldg.; ATV Drag — Grandstands
* 6-9 p.m.: $1 Skate Night — Roller Rink
* 11 p.m.: Midway Closes