Attempted murder suspect waives hearing in Marietta court

MARIETTA — A St. Marys man charged with attempted aggravated murder last week waived his preliminary hearing in Marietta Municipal Court Wednesday.

Craig M. Cox, 27, of 1822 Jonestown Road, has spent the last 10 days in the Washington County Jail after Marietta City Police arrested him for allegedly abducting his wife, Ayla-Marie Satin Cox, and then trying to run her down with his truck when she tried to escape.

The bond of $410,000 was continued Wednesday along with his case, bound over to Washington County Common Pleas Court for consideration by a grand jury.

“They were in town visiting friends,” said Washington County Assistant Prosecutor Joe Derkin.

But an argument led to Cox trying to run over his wife on Pennsylvania Avenue, near the Marietta Shrine Club, on Nov. 27, said Derkin.

“He held her for several hours but then she escaped and he tried to run her down with his truck,” said Derkin. “He totalled the truck hitting a trailer’s attached porch head on.”

Further investigation into the case continues, Derkin said in Judge Janet Dyar Welch’s courtroom.

“But threats were made and that’s what makes this attempted murder charge aggravated,” he said.

Welch said no protection order was requested by Ayla Cox because “she believed the incident was due to drug use.”

Cox faces the following charges: Attempted aggravated murder, a first-degree felony; abduction, a third-degree felony, and burglary, a fourth-degree felony.

According to the Marietta Police report, Cox’s wife said the two had been out driving when her husband parked in the Shrine Club lot. She said he no longer recognized her and did not know who he was.

He then accused her of killing his family, whom he claimed he could see dead in the truck with him, police said.

He allegedly told her about ways he would kill her and dispose of the body.

After allegedly holding his wife in the vehicle for more than two hours with her feet bound with a bandanna, she said she convinced him to let her use the bathroom.

When she was let out of the truck she ran to the porch of a nearby mobile home for help at which point Cox chased her with the car and rammed the home, police said.

Cox remains in the custody of the Washington County Jail pending a posting of bond.