Recipes being taken for annual cookbook
PARKERSBURG – Can’t take the heat?
Then go back in the kitchen and get those recipes ready.
It’s time again for the annual Cookbook published by The Parkersburg News and Sentinel/Marietta A.M., a compilation of the favorite recipes from readers.
This year marks the 60th anniversary of the annual Cookbook, which features recipes in numerous categories. The Cookbook includes the annual contest where the grand prize winner is chosen by a panel of judges.
Recipes submitted in accordance with the rules are eligible to win prizes, including the grand prize of a $500 gift card from Foodland.
“We are very excited to partner with The News and Sentinel, and I would like to remind everyone that Foodland is where dinner begins,” said Foodland owner Jim Oppe.
The 60th anniversary of the publication is a recognition of its popularity, said Jim Spanner, publisher of The A.M. and The News and Sentinel.
“This is one of our more popular publications and we know it is a favorite of our readers,” Spanner said. “We hope our readers enjoy it and the recipes as much as we do.”
Entries will be accepted:
* By mail.
* By email.
* By bringing them to the office at 519 Juliana St.
The deadline for submitting recipes is Sept. 22. Up to five recipes in each category with a total of 25 per entrant will be accepted.
The 2014 categories are:
* Healthy Main Dish
* Main Dish
Finalists as chosen by the judges can participate in a tasting party scheduled for Oct. 22 at the Williamstown Women’s Club.
The following contest rules to win prizes and recipe tips apply:
1. Each contestant may enter no more than 25 recipes, up to five recipes in each of five categories. This means you MAY NOT enter ALL categories, but must select your favorite five. Make sure to note what category or categories you are entering and count your entries before sending them in. If you send more than five recipes in any one category or enter more than five categories NONE of the recipes will be entered into competition.
2. Recipes submitted by mail must be typed or printed legibly, one entry per page. Every entry must contain your name, address and telephone number. If we cannot contact you, you cannot win. At the top of each page, give the category in which the recipe is being entered and the name of the recipe.
Mailed recipes are retyped, so it is important that we be able to clearly read the measurements, ingredients and directions. It is also important we are able to identify and contact you.
3. Read your recipes through before sending, or even better, have someone else read them to make sure they are complete. Be sure to include pan size, temperature and length of cooking time.
DO NOT say “put in oven and cook until done.” DO SAY “put in 350-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.” DO NOT say “put in pan and cook.” DO SAY “put in medium saucepan over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.”
Only give brand names if necessary to the success of the dish, but if purchased ingredients are used, be sure to give package size. For example: DO NOT say “add one box JELL-O pudding.” DO SAY “add one 4-oz. box instant pudding mix.”
Remember, readers will be trying to duplicate your dishes at home, so make it a pleasant experience for them by making your recipes easy to read and directions easy to follow.
4. Recipes may be emailed to email@example.com. The same rules apply: one recipe per message, with the category, name of recipe and complete contact information (name, address, phone number) on each. The recipe MUST be in the body of the email, NOT an attachment. Email messages with attachments will be returned.
5. Recipes may be dropped off at The Parkersburg News and Sentinel office at 519 Juliana St., Parkersburg, or mailed to Cookbook Editor, The Parkersburg News and Sentinel, P.O. Box 1787, Parkersburg, WV 26102.
6. Recipes must be postmarked or email timestamped no later than midnight Sept. 22. Late submissions will not be accepted.
7. If selected as a finalist, you must be available to attend the Tasting Party on Oct. 22. Complete details will be provided after finalists are chosen.