No injuries in Spring Street afternoon fire

PARKERSBURG – An afternoon fire on Spring Street appears to have been accidental, an official said.

The fire at 1701 Spring St. was determined to be accidental in nature, said Capt. Craig Wix with the Parkersburg Fire Department Thursday evening.

The fire was called in at 3:38 p.m. Thursday and firefighters were on the scene at 3:39 p.m., Wix said.

The fire department was met with heavy smoke and flames showing from a front bedroom of the brick house, Wix said. The fire was under control in approximately 10 minutes, thanks to the quick work of the first firefighters on the scene, Wix said.

Two people were home at the time of the fire, renter Adrian McClung and one child, Wix said.

McClung had multiple children and a dog living at the home, all of whom escaped the fire safely, she said.

“My kids, my dog and my photo album got out. Everything else can be replaced,” McClung said at the scene Thursday.

The fire was mostly contained to the front bedroom, Wix said. The second floor of the rental home sustained heavy smoke damage and the first floor had water damage, Wix said. The damage was estimated at $20,000.

The fire burned a hole in the front of the house and burned the bed that was in the bedroom. Firefighters had the charred remains of the mattresses in the front yard on Thursday afternoon.

The house was owned by John Kiger, Wix said.

The Parkersburg Fire Department brought 17 firefighters to the scene, including two who were working on the department’s new classroom and training center on Camden Avenue, Wix said. Five engines, one rescue truck and one tower truck provided coverage for the fire, he said.