Child’s death under investigation

PARKERSBURG – The Tuesday morning death of a one-year-old girl remains under investigation by the Parkersburg Police Department, officials said

At 11:20 a.m. Tuesday, a 30-year-old man called the 911 Center to report the one-year-old girl left in his care was unresponsive and not breathing, said Parkersburg Police Chief Joe Martin on Tuesday.

The 21-year-old mother of the one-year-old and a 2-year, 11-month-old girl had left the two children in the 30-year-old’s care while she went to work Tuesday morning, Martin said. The 30-year-old was identified only as the 21-year-old’s boyfriend, Martin said.

The names of those involved in this case were not released Tuesday evening. Martin said it was “just too early” to release the names.

Emergency Medical Services, Parkersburg Fire Department and the Parkersburg Police Department responded to the Central Avenue apartment and attempted to resuscitate the infant repeatedly, but were unsuccessful in their attempts, Martin said.

The infant was transported to Camden Clark Medical Center, where further attempts at resuscitation were also unsuccessful, Martin said.

The Parkersburg Police Department began an investigation immediately in order to secure the scene, Martin said. The only people home during the child’s death were the 30-year-old caretaker and the infant’s older sister, Martin said.

Police questioned the 2-year, 11-month-old girl with her mother present, Martin said. Attempts to interview the child did not reveal much evidence, Martin said.

The 30-year-old male was questioned by officers at length, Martin said. Questioning was terminated when the 30-year-old requested an attorney, Martin said.

A search warrant was obtained for the Central Avenue apartment and the search revealed “items that could possibly explain what had taken place,” Martin said. Martin declined to go into detail about the meaning of the statement Tuesday evening.

The infant’s body was transported to the Office of the State Medical Examiner in Charleston and was scheduled to undergo an autopsy at 9 a.m. today, Martin said.

Additional details about this case were unavailable Tuesday evening.