Prosecutor readies warrants for Johnson

PARKERSBURG – Three felony warrants were obtained for the arrest of a man who was involved in a shooting incident with Parkersburg Police last week.

Wood County Prosecutor Jason Wharton said the West Virginia State Police obtained the warrants against Christopher Paul Johnson, 42, of Parkersburg late Tuesday. Wharton said the charges are two counts of wanton endangerment with a firearm and one count of a prohibited person in possession of a firearm.

Wharton said when Johnson is released from the hospital, he will be served with the warrants.

Parkersburg Police Chief Joe Martin said Wood County Magistrate Brenda Marshall signed the warrants and a bond of $250,000 has been requested for each charge.

“Information given to me was the state police obtained the warrants from Magistrate Marshall and the bond was set high because of the circumstances,” he said. “With this we can now go on to the next phase of the investigation.”

Martin said there is a possibility the case could go up to a higher level.

“I have spoken with the U.S. Attorney and this case may be elevated to the next level,” he aid. “For now I hope he will remain in custody until this goes to trial.”

Martin said the two officers involved in the July 15 shooting, Lt. G.D. Nangle and Patrolman M.L. Bosley, are still on administrative duties.

“They are progressing very well; there are a few minor things we need to do to return them to full duty,” he said. “They need time to absorb what happened before we put them back on the stress of the job.”

According to police reports, Johnson was shot four times by two Parkersburg police officers after he refused to put down a gun he’d pointed at one of the officers during a traffic stop at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Plum Street.

Reports said the shooting occurred minutes after three plainclothes Parkersburg detectives attempted to apprehend Johnson on a felony warrant for conspiracy to deliver a controlled substance and he escaped after pointing a gun at one of them.

Johnson was taken to Camden Clark Medical Center, Memorial Campus and then he was moved by helicopter to Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown.

Martin said because the shooting involved two Parkersburg police officers the state police are investigating.