Driver cited in accident

PARKERSBURG – Up to 100 residents were without power on Wednesday evening after a minivan crashed into a utility pole in the 1100 block of West Virginia Avenue, officials said.

West Virginia Avenue was closed from the intersection with Hemlock Avenue to the intersection with Willard Street well into the evening, officials said.

Rodney G. Oden, 33, of Parkersburg was driving his 2003 Ford Windstar minivan westbound on West Virginia Avenue at 5:29 p.m. when he lost control of the vehicle, said Lt. S.L. Bunner with the Parkersburg Police Department.

Oden was navigating around a legally parked vehicle on the street at the time of the wreck, Bunner said. Oden attempted to straighten the vehicle out but was unable to move the wheel, Bunner said.

Oden struck the utility pole between 1119 and 1121 West Virginia Ave. The impact broke the utility pole into two pieces, and brought down the power and cable lines to the area, Bunner said.

Oden was cited for failure to maintain control of his vehicle and for having an expired operator’s permit, Bunner said.

The MonPower website estimated that between 21 and 100 households in the area were without power for the majority of the evening.

Oden had four passengers in the minivan at the time of the accident, Bunner said. All four passengers were listed as minors and their names were not released.

No injuries were reported in the accident, and Oden and his passengers were permitted to refuse treatment at the scene, Bunner said.

The downed pole left power, telephone and cable lines scattered across the 1100 block of West Virginia Avenue, Bunner said. Lines were down on houses and vehicles, as well as in the road, he said.

The only other vehicle reported as damaged in the wreck was a 2003 Dodge Durango, which was legally parked and owned by the City of Vienna, Bunner said.

Employees from MonPower, CAS Cable and Suddenlink Cable were on scene Wednesday to restore power and television services to the area.

Power restoration was estimated for around 11 p.m., according to MonPower employees at the scene.