Two injured in motorcycle wreck

VIENNA – Two Ohio people were injured in a motorcycle wreck on Grand Central Avenue on Friday evening, officials said.

The Vienna Volunteer Fire Department and the Vienna Police Department responded to the accident at 8:59 p.m. Friday at the intersection in front of Vienna Wal-Mart on Grand Central Avenue.

The accident closed traffic in the southbound lanes of Grand Central Avenue for approximately 30 minutes Friday evening, said Sgt. Robert Pifer with the Vienna Police Department.

James Haney, age unknown, of Albany, Ohio, and Teresa Whittington, age unknown, of Syracuse, Ohio, were thrown from Haney’s motorcycle, a 2006 Yamaha, in the accident, Pifer said.

Savanna Williams, 19, of Parkersburg, was turning her green 1995 Chrysler Cirrus from the Vienna Wal-Mart parking lot, Pifer said. Williams turned her Cirrus southbound onto Grand Central Avenue when the accident occurred, he said.

Williams made a right turn when the light was red, and merged into the center lane, where she collided with the Yamaha, Pifer said. The two impacted on the front driver’s side, he said.

Williams and her passenger, Russell Sams, 53, of Parkersburg, were permitted to refuse medical care after the accident, Pifer said.

Haney and Whittington landed some distance from the motorcycle in the center lane of Grand Central Avenue, Pifer said. Both were believed to have been wearing helmets at the time of the crash, he said. Haney and Whittington were transported to area hospitals following the accident. Their conditions were unavailable Friday night.

Williams was issued a citation for an improper right-hand turn, Pifer said.

The motorcycle landed on its right side, suffering minor damage including dents and scrapes. The key broke off in the ignition, said Steve Scholl with the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department.

The Cirrus suffered dents and scratches along its front driver’s side in the accident.

The Vienna Volunteer Fire Department directed traffic through the Wal-Mart parking lot until the southbound lanes were re-opened around 9:30 p.m. Friday.