Firefighters injured at Vincent blaze

VINCENT – A late-evening fire cost a family their home and sent three firefighters to the hospital.

The Barlow Township Volunteer Fire Department responded around 11:30 p.m. Monday to a doublewide trailer on fire at 1440 Roddy Road, Vincent. Chief Troy Eddleblute said bitterly cold temperatures made fighting the fire difficult.

“About 2 o’clock (Tuesday) morning it went down to minus 12,” he said. “We had problems with the pumps freezing up and there was ice on everything. We had to travel about four miles either way to get to a fire hydrant.”

The owner of the house is Nicholas Proscia, Sheriff Larry Mincks said. No one was home at the time.

Eddleblute said volunteer fire departments from Dunham Township and Wesley Township responded to help the Barlow firefighters, but they too ran into similar problems.

“We were fighting the elements the whole night,” he said.

The fire rekindled in the afternoon and crews returned to the house.

Eddleblute said the owner and his two children were not home at the time of the fire and to his knowledge there were no animals inside the structure, which was a total loss.

Four firefighters were injured while battling the blaze, but all were treated and released from an area hospital.

Two Barlow firefighters were struck by a falling beam when they entered the home, one in the head and the other in the neck, Eddleblute said. A third Barlow firefighter suffered smoke inhalation.

A Wesley Township firefighter slipped while entering the structure on a back porch which was covered in ice, hurting his knees. He, too, was treated and released at an area hospital.

A civilian was taken to Camden Clark Medical Center for smoke inhalation, but was treated and released, Mincks said.

Eddleblute said crews had the fire extinguished around 4:30 a.m., but were called out again at 7 a.m. after several hot spots reignited. Small fires and hot spots rekindled twice Tuesday.

Eddleblute said an Ohio fire marshal was coming to investigate the scene later Tuesday morning. Officials do not know the cause of the fire.

The home was engulfed in flames by the time the department arrived on scene, Eddleblute said.

The home was completely electric, said Mincks.