BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS

Oak Grove home a total loss after fire

MARIETTA – No one was injured, but a family pet died in a Sunday afternoon fire that destroyed an Oak Grove home.

Four area fire departments responded to the blaze that broke out at 107 1/2 Hanson Drive shortly after 1 p.m.

“It’s a total loss. We think the fire may have started in the kitchen area in the attic or on the main floor, but that hasn’t been determined,” Lt. Josh Stewart, with the Oak Grove Volunteer Fire Department, said Sunday.

Regina Jenks, 25, who lived in the single-story house, was working at Marietta Memorial Hospital when the fire broke out. Her husband, Jacob Jenks, 27, who owns the home, said the couple was separated and he had been living with his parents in the Waterford area.

“It was a starter home. I’ve been fixing the house up for about three years now,” he said.

“The electrical wiring was pretty bad. It has to be completely re-done.”

Jacob said the couple’s dog, Riley, an Australian shepherd, had apparently died during the blaze.

Stewart later confirmed firefighters had found the pet’s body lying just inside a sliding glass door at the front of the home.

Jerry Jenks, Jacob’s father, said the house had originally been a mobile home and the rest of the structure had been built on over several years.

“Jake was fixing it up, and it was a lot of work,” he said. “They lost a lot, but I told them to just be extremely thankful there was no one inside when it caught fire.”

Vicki Ayers, who lives just across the street from the Jenks home, said another neighbor had notified 911 while she called Jacob at his parents’ home.

“When I first saw the fire there was smoke coming out of the back of the house – I thought it was the home behind theirs,” Ayers said. “Later I could see brown smoke and then flames coming from the back of the house.”

Shirley Weckbacher and Don Lemon, both 73, live in the house immediately next door to the Jenks home.

“There was no smoke inside our house, that I know of,” said Lemon. “We were concerned that the fire might spread to our garage, but (the fire companies) got here pretty fast – in about five minutes.”

Stewart said firefighters hosed down the exterior of the garage to prevent the blaze from spreading. He said the fire didn’t seem to be suspicious, but the state fire marshal would probably be notified.

In addition to Oak Grove, Lowell-Adams and Warren volunteer fire departments, and the Marietta Fire Department responded to the blaze.