Belpre Homecoming carrying on without amusements
BELPRE — A last-minute scheduling error has caused the cancellation of the amusements at the Belpre Homecoming, which starts today, officials said on Wednesday.
Due to last-minute booking concerns, the amusements, including rides and some midway games, will not be available, Lyndsay Dennis, event coordinator, said. The committee will offer inflatables and bouncing set-ups for children at a lesser cost than the usual amusements, Dennis said.
“We believe this change will allow more children and families to take advantage of a wide range of activities on our grounds,” she said. “It won’t be the usual thrill and children’s rides, but these events offered through Meigs County Inflatables will give children a chance to have fun while being active.”
The change was announced on Wednesday by the committee. The homecoming is sponsored by the Belpre Chamber of Commerce.
“It’s just a booking error,” on the part of the amusement company, said Karen Waller, executive director of the chamber.
“We did not cancel on them,” she said.
Wristbands will be sold for $5 each day allowing children access to all the set-ups for that time period. Individual tickets for one inflatable will be sold two for $1, Dennis said.
The activities are offered to children ages 4-12. Children younger than 4 years old must meet height requirements.
All others will not be permitted on the structures. Wristbands and tickets will be sold for cash only at the Belpre Homecoming headquarters tent located on the grounds.
The committee apologized for any inconvenience for the last-minute change, but pledges to continue to present quality entertainment, Dennis said.
The 86th edition of the Belpre Homecoming opens today and ends Saturday night.
The schedule is:
Today: Welcome Home Night
* 6-9 p.m.: BFC Bike (motorcycle) Show
* 6:30 p.m.: Opening ceremonies
* 7 p.m.: Little Miss/Mister Pageant
* 8:30 p.m.: Shane Runnion
Friday: Community Night
* 5 p.m.: Cruise-In Car Show
* 6 p.m.: Junior Miss Belpre Pageant
* 8:30 p.m.: Rick K and the Allnighters
Saturday: Classic Homecoming Day
* 7 a.m.: Buddy Bass fishing tournament, Belpre boat ramp
* 9 a.m.: Kids Fishing Derby, Civitan Park pond
* 9:40 a.m.: Belpre Mile Run and Walk, Howes Grove Park
* 10 a.m.: Homecoming Parade, starts at Belpre High School, Washington Boulevard to Howes Grove Park
* Noon: Registration, Puppy Pageant, Civitan Park gazebo
* 12:30 p.m.: Puppy Pageant
* 7 p.m.: Miss Teen and Miss Belpre pageants
* 8:30 p.m.: Full Circle Band
* 9 p.m.: Duck Pluck Winners drawn at Main Stage.
* 10 p.m.: Fireworks.