Mid-Ohio Valley Players to present ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’
MARIETTA — Opening this weekend is the Mid-Ohio Valley Player’s installment of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.”
“We have lots of special effects for this show and I’m extremely pleased with the cast,” said Director David Schiemann, who in the last iteration of the show a decade ago played Dale Harding. “It’s a mature play, and we’ve had extra time for the cast to develop their characters and create a certain chemistry that I think will really show on stage.”
The play, by Dale Wasserman, was adapted from the novel by Ken Kesey and is set in the confines of a mental institution.
‘It’s a legend, but the details and things that happen are reflections on true experiences, so while some of the concepts are outdated from early treatment of mental health, these actors are playing caricatures,” explained Schiemann.
John “Mack” McHale plays the role of Martini, the only character who acknowledges the audience’s presence.
“I’m really in my own little world with this character,” said McHale. “A lot of pantomime and the basics of theater really come out in it.”
Both also mentioned the third of the cast that are new to the stage, but have taken to the craft.
“Backstage the chemistry is just phenomenal,” said McHale. “They’re learning the art.”
Cast and crew:
* Director: David Scheimann
* Assistant Director: Marty Durham.
* Nurse Eve: Ashley Atkinson
* Charles Cheswick: John Burns
* Aide Turkle: Joe Chamberlain.
* Scanlon: George Gaston
* Nurse Flynn: Andrea Hartshorn
* Martini: John “Mack” McHale
* Ruckley: Aaron Paige
* Dr. Spivey: Kermit Polan
* Sandra: Vanessa Rake
* Dale Harding: Charles Roberts
* Aide Warren: Corey Rutter
* Candy: Amber Nicole Smrek
* Billy Bibbit: Zech Suprano
* Nurse Ratched: Rena Swearington
* Aide Williams: Tim Tuten
* Chief Bromden: Jeff Walker
* Randall McMurphy: Charles Wilcox
If You Go
* Showings: March 9, 10, 16, 17, 23 and 24 at 8 p.m. and matinee March 18 at 3 p.m.
* Rated for mature audiences
* Youth under 17: $7
* Adults: $10
* Seniors over 60/ students: $12
* Available at MOVP.org, the Marietta-Washington County CVB, Marty’s Print Shop and the theater box office prior to showtime. Contact the box office at 740-374-9434.