Elizabeth to host Wirt County Pioneer Day celebration Saturday
ELIZABETH — The 15th annual Wirt County Pioneer Day will be Saturday in courthouse square in Elizabeth.
The Elizabeth Beauchamp Chapter Daughters of American Pioneers organizes the annual heritage event which will feature vendors, concessions, craft demonstrations, a Ladies Tea, Civil War re-enactments, music and other activities beginning at 9 a.m. and running through the day.
Crafters will demonstrate the arts of basket making, blacksmithing and apple butter stirring. Vendors will have homemade crafts and be serving lots of food. A Civil War street skirmish with cannons is part of the activities.
There will also be music, square dancing, children’s activities and the annual Pioneer Day quilt show. The Beauchamp-Newman Museum, Morgan-McClung House and Kanawha Hotel will be open for tours.
On Sunday, Civil War re-enactment soldiers will participate in a Civil War battle. Camps open at 9 a.m. with the battle taking place at 2 p.m. at the intersection of W.Va. 5 and W.Va. 14 in Elizabeth.
Units participating are: Jim Miracle, (Carlin’s Artillery Battery D (two cannons) from Parkersburg, Wirt County’s (19th VA Cavalry Co. A and17th VA Cavalry Co. F) and other infantry units, John Haddox’s (Western Virginia Artillery (cannon) from St. Marys and John Van Horn, (Byrnes Battery, Co. D cannon) from McConnelsville.
Saturday’s schedule includes:
* 9 a.m.: Vendor booths open
* 10 a.m.: Kanawha Hotel, “Country Kitchen” (Amish Baked Goods)
* 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Beauchamp-Newman Museum Tours
* 10-11 a.m.: Little Kanawha Hotel tours
*10:30 a.m.: “Farmers and Charmers” Square Dancers (music/stage area)
* 10:30 a.m.-3 p.m.: Quilt Show (courthouse lobby)
* 11 a.m.: Kanawha Hotel, Winner announced for Art Project “Inventing the Wheel, History of Farming in Wirt County”
* 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Antique Car Show (Advance Auto Parts lot); Children’s activities (Museum lawn): Morgan-McClung House tours
* 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Little Kanawha Hotel tours
* Noon: Enny Corner (music/stage area)
* 1 p.m.: Dewey Taylor (music/stage area)
* 2 p.m.: Civil War Street Skirmish (Court Street and Roberts lot)
* 2:30 p.m.: Cake Walk
* 3 p.m.: Danielle Johnson (music/stage area)