River City Ohio Blues Competition kicks off Friday
MARIETTA — The Blues, Jazz and Folk Music Society will host its 25th annual River City Ohio Blues Competition on Friday and Saturday at the Lafayette Hotel in downtown Marietta.
A total of 12 local and regional blues acts are competing for the chance to perform in an international blues competition. The winner will compete for cash prizes and BJFMS sponsorship to the International Blues Challenge in 2018 in Memphis, Tenn.
Doors open one hour before show time. Tickets are $20 for BJFMS members and $25 for non-members for the Friday night show, $20 for members and $25 for non-members for the Saturday afternoon competition and $25 for members and $30 for non-members for the Saturday night performances. Weekend passes are $60 for members and $75 for non-members.
For ticket information, call Mary Anne at 304-422-2944, Helen at 304-615-7997 or Peggy at 740-376-0222.
As it has for the past several years, the Marietta competition will be a two-day event. Instead of bands competing Friday night, the weekend will begin with a pre-competition party on Friday from 8-11 p.m. The performers will be Roadhouse Redeemed at 8 p.m. while Ray Fuller and the Bluesrockers will perform at 9:30 p.m.
On Saturday, the competition will be noon-6 p.m. with a dinner break from 6-8 p.m. The winning acts going to the IBC will perform at 8 p.m. followed by a performance at 9:30 p.m. by Southern Avenue Band, a finalist at the Blues Challenge in Memphis.
The blues competition is a precursor to the 26th annual River City Blues Festival on March 17-18 at the Lafayette Hotel. This year’s festival will include performances by a variety of regional and national blues performers.
The schedule of events includes:
(Pre Competition Dance Party)
* 8 p.m.: Roadhouse Redeemed (Semifinalists at the 2017 IBC)
* 9:30 p.m.: Ray Fuller and The Bluesrockers
* Noon: Paul the Resonator with Vince Farabaugh (duo) of Shepherdstown, W.Va.
* 12:30 p.m.: Atom Lax (four-piece band) of Dover, Ohio.
* 1 p.m.: Erin Coburn Band (three-piece band) of Union, Ky.
* 1:30 p.m.: Scott Horn (solo) of Akron, Ohio
* 2 p.m.: Everett and Delta Storm (four-piece band) of Cincinnati, Ohio
* 2:30 p.m.: Satoru Nakagawa (solo) of Boston, Mass.
* 3 p.m.: Willie Phoenix and The Soul Underground (four piece band) of Columbus, Ohio
* 3:30 p.m.: Luther & Cedric “Lightning Blues” (duo) of Lorain, Ohio.
* 4 p.m.: Gough-Martin Blues Band (four piece band) of South Union, Ky.
* 4:30 p.m.: John Osborne Farley (solo) of Freedom, Pa.
* 5 p.m.: Deuce and a Quarter (five piece band) of Columbus, Ohio
* 5:30 p.m.: L’il Red and The Rooster (three piece band) of France and Columbus, Ohio
(First through third place winners to be announced A.S.A.P. following the competition)
* 6 p.m.: Dinner break
* 8 p.m.: Second or third place competition winner
* 8:45 p.m.: First place competition winner
* 9:30 p.m.: Southern Avenue (from Memphis)