United Way’s Day of Action set for Tuesday
PARKERSBURG – The United Way Alliance of the Mid-Ohio Valley will rally volunteers on Tuesday for the annual Day of Action, an event that mobilizes volunteers to make an impact in the community.
The event will be held from 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. at 18 locations involving about 300 volunteers, Andrea Shirey, United Way executive director, said.
Among the projects during the Day of Action:
* SuddenLink Media from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. will be at the Wood County 4-H grounds on Butcher Bend Road to paint dormitories. A team will work at its office to assemble bags with children’s necessity items.
* The ARC’s Summer Day Program will have volunteers at the Parkersburg Community Foundation from 12:30-2 p.m. to wash windows.
* Volunteers from United Bank will work in a conference room to assemble educational materials for Consumer Credit Counseling Service. The employees at United Bank have also hosted a week long drive to collect items that the service uses in its budgeting classes, specifically memo pads and small calculators.
* Chemours will have a team at SW Resources from 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. to work on a landscaping project.
* The Public Defenders Corporation from the 4th Judicial Circuit will be hosting Transitional Living Program clients from Children’s Home Society. It will provide a mentoring connection and an educational workshop from 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Corporate partners are United Bank, Chemours, Office the Public Defender, Suddenlink Media, Suddenlink Call Center, Highmark WV, Camden Clark Medical Center, Dominion Hope, Community Service Council and GE retirees.
Participating non-profits/groups are Consumer Credit Counseling Services, Parkersburg Day Nursery, Foster Grandparents (a program of the Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Council), SW Resources, Children’s Home Society of West Virginia, Jefferson Elementary School, Parkersburg South High School, Wood County Senior Center, Wood County libraries, The ARC of the Mid-Ohio Valley, Wood County 4-H, Catholic Charities and Parkersburg Community Foundation.
Last year, more than 385 United Ways in 49 states and 21 countries participated in the Day of Action.