Blennerhassett Hotel to hold competition
PARKERSBURG – The Blennerhassett Hotel is seeking decorators – both youth and adult – for its first Gingerbread House Competition at the hotel at Fourth and Market streets in downtown Parkersburg.
The festive and decorative creations will be on display from Dec. 3 through Jan. 1, and awards will be presented to winning decorators on Dec. 7.
The deadline to register is Nov. 22 and there will be three divisions: Adult (ages 16 and up), Junior (ages 11-15 years) and Children (ages 10 and under. The entry fee is $25 per entrant, per entry. A refund of $15 will be given if bases provided by the Blennerhassett are returned. Registration forms, (photocopies acceptable), can be given to the Front Desk or mailed to the Blennerhassett Hotel, Gingerbread House Committee, 320 Market St., Parkersburg, WV 26101.
Entries must be delivered to the Blennerhassett by Dec. 1-2. All entries must be picked up anytime between Jan. 2-5, 2014. Unclaimed houses will become property of the Blennerhassett Hotel.
The prizes include: Adult Division; $2,000 for first, $750 for second and $400 for third; Junior Division, $500 for first, $250 for second and $100 for third; and Children Division, $125 for first, $75 for second and $50 for third place.
For more information, contact the Blennerhassett Hotel at 304-422-3131 or email Nicole at email@example.com
The contest rules and guidelines include:
* Entry must be original – no gingerbread kits allowed. (Adult Division only)
* Entry must have major components (such as walls and roofs) constructed of gingerbread (no graham crackers, cookies, etc.)
* All material used to construct each gingerbread house must be edible, including supports. Foil or plastic wrapped candies must be unwrapped; contestants may not use lollipops with paper or plastic stems, etc.
* Entries will be judged on Originality/Creativity, Overall Appearance, Choice and Use of Materials and Difficulty of Design. Judges decisions will be final. The Blennerhassett Hotel reserves the right to refuse any entries that are deemed inappropriate for display or do not meet specifications. All acceptable entries will be displayed.
* The entry must be delivered in completed form attached to either the bases provided by the hotel or a circular plywood base of 20 inches diameter, with a 1/2 inch thickness. Entries may not be taller than 24 inches in height.
* Participants must register for the competition by Nov. 22. Entry forms may be obtained by contacting the Blennerhassett Hotel at 304-422-3131, stopping by the Front Desk located at 320 Market St., Parkersburg, or online at www.theblennerhassett.com. A registration fee of $25 is due for each show entry. (A refund of $15 will be given if hotel-provided bases are returned.)