Schools earn money from competition
VIENNA – After five weeks of friendly competition, five local schools will share $16,000 in cash prizes from Grand Central Mall’s annual Earning for Learning competition.
From Aug. 18 to Sept. 21, shoppers were encouraged to present their receipts at Guest Services to designate points for the school of their choice. Every dollar spent equaled a point, and ultimately, the chance to win cash prizes for their school.
Each school was ranked on a point-per-student ratio, ultimately deciding the top schools. Two schools are receiving first-place prizes; one private school and one public school, with each receiving $5,000.
The winners for this year include:
* First Place Public School – Criss Elementary – $5,000
* First Place Private School – Parkersburg Catholic High School – $5,000
* Second Place – St. Mary’s Catholic of Marietta – $3,000
* Third Place – Parkersburg Catholic Elementary – $2,000
* Fourth Place – St. John Central Grade School – $1,000
Schools can use the prizes to suit their needs. In past years, schools have been able to purchase computer equipment, playground equipment, fund school field trips and pay bills, to name a few.