Henry Cooper Log Cabin slated to open on Sunday

PARKERSBURG – The Henry Cooper Log Cabin Museum in Parkersburg’s City Park will open for the season Sunday with tours and free admission.

The Centennial Chapter of the Daughters of American Pioneers, which operates the log cabin musuem, will hold its annual Henry Cooper Day from 1-4 p.m. Sunday with free admission.

During Henry Cooper Day, volunteers will be available to help people who believe they might be a Cooper descendant trace their genealogy. They will be able to tour the museum and see all of the items on display.

Through the rest of the summer season, the historic cabin will be open from 1-4 p.m. each Sunday through Labor Day and by appointment. Admission on those days will be $1 for adults and 50 cents for children.

To arrange an appointment or special tours, contact chapter member Charlotte Modesitt at 304-428-3145.

The Daughters of American Pioneers Centennial Chapter in Wood County was founded in 1899 as a result of the 100th anniversary of Wood County. Since its founding, the chapter has been active in preserving American heritage in the local area.

The Henry Cooper Log Cabin originally stood on Elizabeth Pike in the Mineral Wells area. Henry Cooper of Virginia built the cabin on a plot of ground, which consisted of several hundred acres, almost 200 years ago in 1805.

In August 1910, the city of Parkersburg purchased the cabin for $400 from Cooper descendants, F.L. Barnett and M.L. Lemasters to be preserved as a specimen of early architecture of the white settlers in the region. It is believed to be the first two-story cabin in the local area.

The original cabin contained a large living room, two bedrooms and two porches. The cabin is considered a classic example of American logwork, combining hand hewing with chinking between the logs. The gabled roof and rectangle design typified the basic American loghouse design.

Later in 1910, the cabin was dismantled log by log and rebuilt at its current location in City Park. In 1962, a new kitchen and porch were added. The cabin was granted to the Daughters of the American Pioneers in 1911.