Pleasants Area Chamber of Commerce to offer cooking class
ST. MARYS — The Pleasants Area Chamber of Commerce has partnered with St. Marys Galaxy Food Center and Catered Whims food service to offer cooking classes this winter.
Starting Jan. 22, Catered Whims Chef Steven Roberts will hold a weekly cooking course at Galaxy grocery store on West Virginia 2 in St. Marys from 6-8 p.m.
Roberts, who has taught cooking classes at West Virginia University of Parkersburg for the last several years, will offer classes covering culinary basics, prep, soups, sauces, decorations and a variety cooking methods to please the palate and improve culinary skills. These are hands-on classes where students will be able to eat what they create.
Chamber Director Jody Murphy said the classes are an opportunity for people in the area looking for something different to do in the winter months.
“Since I have been involved with the chamber, we’ve tried to offer additional entertainment or educational opportunities for people,” he said. “This is another fun, unique and entertaining offer for people in the area. I hope folks will take advantage.”
“Galaxy was eager to get onboard to host these classes, and I was fortunate to land Steven Roberts to offer these courses. It will be a hands-on, fun evening,” Murphy said.
Murphy said also under consideration is offering kids courses on Saturdays.
“If we find there’s interest, we’ll look to expand,” he said.
Cost of the courses are $35 each week and include all materials. Class is limited to 12 participants. For more information, class schedule, or to register for the classes, contact the Chamber of Commerce at 304-684-9909 or register on-line from the Pleasants Chamber Facebook page or the www.pleasantschamber.com website.
* Jan. 22: Perfect Pasta. Students will learn to make a variety of pastas by hand and then cook them up in a quick simple meal.
* Jan. 29: It’s all about the Sauce. In this class, students will create a multitude of sauces from three easy techniques.
* Feb. 5: Super Seafood. Students will learn how to make several types of seafood, including how to prepare it for cooking.
* Feb. 12: Pastries. Students will make pastries using pie crust, puff pastry and pate a choux.
* Feb. 19: Garnishing and decorating for beginners. Help make the next party one for the books with these simple decorating tips.
* Feb. 26: Simply Soups. Learn about making a variety of soups. Hot and cold soups are covered along with different textures and styles.
* March 5: Easy Cheesy! Learn how to make a cheese and meat platter that will impress guests.
* March 12: Appetizing Appetizers. Students will learn how to make mouth-watering appetizers
* March 19: Pastries. Students will make pastries using pie crust, puff pastry and pate a choux.
* March 26: Would you like some wine with that?” How to pair a wine with almost any meal.