Local craft shows great for gifts
MARIETTA — The season of creative gifting has arrived, and there are dozens of opportunities to find something handmade and heartfelt for everyone on a holiday list.
Deb Lorentz, of Veto, is a photographer specializing in portrait and landscape photography. She sold framed work at the recent Marietta Band Boosters annual Holiday Craft Show.
“I specialize in pinups and boudoir but I do a lot of different types of photography,” she said. “For me, (portraiture) is about the way a person feels.”
The show was the fourth in which Lorentz participated this year.
“I’m new in the photography industry. I had a camera in high school and college and then I had kids and life happened so I’ve been doing this (as a business) for two years,” she said.
This time of year, many nonprofits, churches and other organizations host craft and vendor shows both to showcase the talents of area crafters and to raise money for their groups.
The annual Christmas Village Craft Show at the Betsey Mills Club will be held Dec. 2, and there will be two levels of vendors, including handmade soaps, jewelry, wreaths, handpainted glass ornaments, watercolor paintings, wooden marionettes and toys, stained glass, doll clothes and more.
This year will be the first foray into the world of craft shows for JaneAnn Giffin, who owns Ann Thomas Creations with her fiance, Wade DeLong.
“I will only be doing the Betsey craft show this year, but I’m stressing out,” she laughed. “Just packing everything up and deciding what to take, and pricing. These are all my babies.”
Giffin specializes in primitive signs made from wood pallets. DeLong cuts them to size, and Giffin determines the saying, the style and does the handpainting.
“We’ve been doing this since about February. To keep costs down, we use repurposed pallet wood that businesses usually throw out,” she said. “(Wade) has been woodcrafting his entire life, and I’ve been painting for 30 years. Art is just something that I’ve always wanted to do, since I was 16.”
The love of the craft is also something that keeps local jewelry artist Jena Lane Blair in the craft and artist show circuit year after year.
“I love keeping an ancient art form alive, and I love creating a piece of art that hopefully will touch someone’s heart and give them pleasure,” she said.
Over the years, Blair has done numerous art shows, demonstrating her work all over the northeast and as far west as Las Vegas.
“Christmas Village is the last arts and crafts show I will be participating in this year but watch for me at Twisted Sister’s Boutique in January during the ‘Fire and Ice’ First Fridays 2018, where I will be demonstrating my work in their store,” she said.
Upcoming area craft shows
Saturday, Nov. 25
* Vendor/craft show and a Santa Photo Booth at the Evergreen Community Center at 113 Ellsworth St. in Reno. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; photos with Santa noon to 3 p.m.
* Fourth annual Newport Fire Department Craft Show, 38350 State Route 7, Newport; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 25. Crafters, company vendors, country store, and food will be served by the Fire Department.
Saturday, Dec. 2
* Memorial Hospital/Selby Hospital annual Christmas craft bazaar, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2, at First Church of the Nazarene, corner of Colegate Drive and Millcreek Road. Bake sale, lots of vendors with great merchandise, concession, quilt raffle. Admission is free.
* O’Neill Center annual Craft and Vendor Sale; O’Neill Center will sponsor both a craft sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2, and a vendor sale from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 3; lunch will be sold from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 2 and 1-3 p.m. Dec. 3; free admission to the public for both days.
* Barlow Fairgrounds Christmas Craft & Vendor show, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2.
* Basilica of St. Mary of the Assumption holiday bazaar, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2, church social hall at 506 Fourth St., Marietta. Holiday cookies, candies, a variety of baked goods, holiday crafts and gift items will be sold. This event is sponsored by the Catholic Women’s Club. For more information, 740-373-8786.
* Christmas in the Village, hosted by Wesley Township Volunteer Fire Department, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2.
* Warren Elementary Craft & Vendor event, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2, Warren Elementary, 16885 State Route 550, Marietta.
* The Betsey Mills Club annual Christmas Village Craft Show will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2. A $2 donation will be taken at the door; available items will include handmade soaps, jewelry, wreaths, hand painted glass ornaments, watercolor paintings and notecards, wooden marionette and toys, stocking stuffers, handmade baskets, stained glass boxes, hand woven rugs, American doll clothes and much more. Call 740-373-4981 for details.
* Noon to 7 p.m. Dec. 2 at the Ellenboro Sleep Inn at Ellenboro. Food and drinks will be available for purchase to support Sleep Inn Dream Team Relay for Life of Ritchie County.